Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

West KY Asian Carp Processors Expand Operations

Post Thanks / Like
    good news, and a good read, thanks...
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope they are able to build even another plant!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptObvious View Post
    Hope they are able to build even another plant!
    Need to get the price/pound up, in order to get more commercial fishermen entering into the mix ... THEN expand or start new processing plants. The supply & demand is there, we just need more "middlemen" (commercial anglers) to keep the supply chain humming.

But, the only problem I see with that is .... it lessens the push to come up with methods to completely eradicate these fish, if that is even possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was encouraged to read that the commercial fishing has increased each year. I wonder what percentage of the fish is taken from the rivers verses the lakes? That plant isn't really all that terribly close to the lakes.

"Morris said commercial fishing has increased every year. It's unknown how much that has decreased the carp population."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I was encouraged to read that the commercial fishing has increased each year. I wonder what percentage of the fish is taken from the rivers verses the lakes? That plant isn't really all that terribly close to the lakes.
    I had the same question. I am just assuming they know what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Need to get the price/pound up, in order to get more commercial fishermen entering into the mix ... THEN expand or start new processing plants. The supply & demand is there, we just need more "middlemen" (commercial anglers) to keep the supply chain humming.

But, the only problem I see with that is .... it lessens the push to come up with methods to completely eradicate these fish, if that is even possible.
    I had that thought also, and came to the conclusion that they wouldn't spend millions if they thought it WAS possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just thinking out loud here but you would think this type of processing plant may be better suited for a barge type operation. Being mobile might help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post

Unfortunatly pappy I think there here to stay. Ive been seeing these things in great numbers for years now and beleive they are in a lot more bodies of water than people think. Any lake that eventually dumps into the Ohio,it's just a matter of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Unfortunatly pappy I think there here to stay. Ive been seeing these things in great numbers for years now and beleive they are in a lot more bodies of water than people think. Any lake that eventually dumps into the Ohio,it's just a matter of time.
    Yep ... unfortunately you are quite correct. I've seen them in the Salt River, below the dam at Taylorsville. And I've even heard rumors that there are some IN Taylorsville. I hope they are not, but if they are ... I hope the big Blue Cats get to them before they get too big. I'm also hopeful that Taylorsville Lake doesn't have the volume, length, & water current speed to facilitate spawning for these critters.