Search Fishin.com

Thread: Then What??

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Then What??

While scanning through the channels, paused at FOX news?They were discussing the merits of robots, and scoffing at Bill Gates idea of taxing the users of them.They cite the high cost of labor, and they are right.Lets carry this a few steps further. Robots dont buy anything.Robots dont need soft drinks. Robots do not eat hamburgers. AND ROBOTS DONT WATCH TV. Since they dont eat, we can cut back on agriculture.In fact the only thing robots need, is more robots to repair the broken ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Clearing away the cob webs

yes there was a scifi novel pertaining to this. It was Midas World.What happens when a driverless uber car arrives at a call, and finds out the worker has been replaced by a U Know What. This nonsence will end as soon a s the NCAA tourney begins.

Post Thanks / Like
    i used to build and program robots, robot arms, automated assembly equipment. they all require a highly skilled support staff from day 1 on. speed and consistency are their major advantages. they don't complain or get tired. they do get sick(break down/wear out). i'm NOT at all scared of being replaced by a robot. anybody that is, doesn't understand robots.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

back to the original point

People who work for wages buy things, theres hardly any dispute to that.Yes high paid technicians are needed to service the machines, but they are approaching self diagnosing programs that will even limit the technician to a parts changer.Bots will not go away we wouldn't want them to.I was awestruck by a floor cleaning machine that did its work, then put itself away.That gives the domestic engineer, time to shop in the comfort of a recliner, and wait for a drone to drop off the purchases.We are in a consumer driven economy, and with a shrinking middle class, the buying power also shrinks. I'm in no position to loose sleep over the problem, with age needs and wants go down.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. That's why I have not been on here as much lately

Purdue made it to the sweet Sixteen. That's the good news. The bad news is that now we have to play Kansas which just handed Michigan State University a ticket home from the big dance. Boiler Up and hammer down guys.

Matt Painter needs to learn to switch defenses at certain times. Like when the opposing center is dribbling the ball though the man to man defense three times in a row and dunking the ball over Caleb "Biggie" Swanigan That's when you switch to a Zone Defense to put a stop to that BS. And he could learn to put some pressure on the other team when they are taking the ball out after making a basket. It's called a Full Court Pressure Defense which was used by John Wooden of Purdue/Indiana State University/UCLA fame. Painter has a pretty good team but he's not the greatest coach in the world. He took the best players out to allow the other team to make up a 19 point deficient. He took Isaac Haus out of the game when he and Caleb had it going and could not be stopped. He put wacky tobacco smoking Cline in the game to start when he is too slow to guard anyone and could not hit the basket this game. But with all that going on they some how managed to pull out a victory thanks to some late free throws and a couple of three point shots by the smallest man on the court. PJ Thompson.

Purdue won't be so lucky against Kansas this coming game.

NCAA they call it March MADNESS for a reason. Last night gave me heartburn and I've not had a drink in over a week. Got a bad rash on the finger tips and had to get Prednisone to counter that and can't drink with that in my system. Well I could but decided to hold of until I get the Prednisone out of my system. I have to get another of them **** biopsies pretty soon as I've been diagnosed with cancer. Had an MRI to find out exactly where the cancer is located and the MRI found some more and they want to take a look at it to see if it's more aggressive than the one I already had. It's contained in one spot and treatable right now if I chose to do that. Life's a bitch some times.

Got to see the Dr. Tomorrow to get my prescriptions worked out for the next three months or so. And after that I may get the boat out of the garage, fix the broken turn signal/tail light on the boat trailer and go crappie fishing. It's going to be up to about 73 Deg F tomorrow. I went to Walmart and got some fishing stuff yesterday. It's been a while since I got the bug to fish. Been shooting my guns more than fishing these last two years. But I got that bug out of my system. I still carry my gun with me where ever I go these days. It's a personal carry weapon these days. As we get older it helps to have some back up.

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    yes there was a scifi novel pertaining to this. It was Midas World.What happens when a driverless uber car arrives at a call, and finds out the worker has been replaced by a U Know What. This nonsence will end as soon a s the NCAA tourney begins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    People who work for wages buy things, theres hardly any dispute to that.Yes high paid technicians are needed to service the machines, but they are approaching self diagnosing programs that will even limit the technician to a parts changer.Bots will not go away we wouldn't want them to.I was awestruck by a floor cleaning machine that did its work, then put itself away.That gives the domestic engineer, time to shop in the comfort of a recliner, and wait for a drone to drop off the purchases.We are in a consumer driven economy, and with a shrinking middle class, the buying power also shrinks. I'm in no position to loose sleep over the problem, with age needs and wants go down.
    I get what your saying my friend, if robots do the labor for companies, and build the product really cheap, and no people are working, then who will buy the robot built product. the working robots don't have any need for the product they built, now when people build the products, they need to eat,sleep, drive an auto, and play games, but no human jobs, no money to spend, you think the companies will see the light, that as bad as they hate to have a payroll attached to the building of their product, it's the only way to keep the product in circulation... small robots are nice to, I have a roomba vacuum robot, you can program it to vacuum and it will get under sofa, in corners and has little brushes that reach out to get in hard to reach places, and when it's task is finished, it will take it's self and go get back on the charger, and after recharging, it awaits on the next mornings alarming time to get started again.

Post Thanks / Like

Robots don't buy hamburgers at McD or need a place to sleep

I have a friend who's gotten into this robotics company as it's operations managers. He's no programmer and can't really work on his own computer without a lot of help. But he's making big bucks right now and moved out of his house next to me and into a bigger house. He's renting his old house to two friends of his brothers. They live there with one of their girlfriends and her two kids. Not very friendly people IMHO except for the single guy who's friendly and helped me cut grass once and then helped me trim the top of my every green trees next to the corner of the house. I have to the step ladder out to do that job but he can reach up with my new battery operated hedge trimmers and get the top branches cut off. It took him about ten minutes to trip the tops of my two holly bushes. It would have taken me that long just to get the step ladder out and the boards to put under the legs to even them out on the in-level ground. He smokes so I can't stay around him very long as he is a chain smoker like I use to be 25 years ago. I remember what is was like to be addicted to nicotine and not be able to go without a smoke for longer than an hour. I finally quit the habit. I'd be dead by now if I didn't.

The guy working for the robotics company hired a guy who's a Transsexual. He grew his hair long and wears lipstick and have finger nails that are long. He was ugly as a guy and even uglier as a transsexual. He makes me sick. I use to use him to work on my computer as he is great at that sort of stuff. But he/she is all mentally messed up in IMHO. He went to school with my old next door neighbor friend and I guess they are still friends from HS. I stopped going to his computer shop. He actually went out of business after he changed and sold the business to another guy who turned it into a place to fix your car stereo's. But the guy/gal is a programmer and the company hired him to program the robots from what I've been told. Like you said those darn robots don't pay taxes or buy stuff from other business other than to keep them running. They don't need to sleep in our hotels nor do they pay to buy tickets to the ball games like a real human does. They should only be used in areas that are unsafe for a human to work in. That's it. But the people with the money don't give a crap about the rest of us. As long as they can make a buck cheaper than before they will continue to cut humans out of the pictures in order to increase their shot term profits. They care not about society in general if you ask me. It's all about making money. They should learn to think in the long term and realize that they are putting the very people out of work that use to buy their products and help their business survive.

Think I may go fishing tomorrow as it's going to be warm and there is no rain in sight. The crappie should be in pre-spawn mode and ready to hit the feed bag with this nice weather. Waters are still cool now but a few hours of 70 deg F weather might just warm up some of the darker bottoms in the shallows on the Northern Banks with good southern Exposure to the sun all day long. That or some canals that are warming up or some creeks that flows into the back of a shallow bay that have warmer water flowing in the creek than what's already in the bay. Crappie will respond to the emerging plant and animal life in the shallows and so will the bait fish hopefully. Find the bait fish and you can find the bigger sport fish. In any case it will be nice to get out in the sun a bit. Every one else will be at work on a Monday hopefully. Only the retired people and those that take off work to enjoy the nice weather will be out and about fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I get what your saying my friend, if robots do the labor for companies, and build the product really cheap, and no people are working, then who will buy the robot built product. the working robots don't have any need for the product they built, now when people build the products, they need to eat,sleep, drive an auto, and play games, but no human jobs, no money to spend, you think the companies will see the light, that as bad as they hate to have a payroll attached to the building of their product, it's the only way to keep the product in circulation... small robots are nice to, I have a roomba vacuum robot, you can program it to vacuum and it will get under sofa, in corners and has little brushes that reach out to get in hard to reach places, and when it's task is finished, it will take it's self and go get back on the charger, and after recharging, it awaits on the next mornings alarming time to get started again.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    i used to build and program robots, robot arms, automated assembly equipment. they all require a highly skilled support staff from day 1 on. speed and consistency are their major advantages. they don't complain or get tired. they do get sick(break down/wear out). i'm NOT at all scared of being replaced by a robot. anybody that is, doesn't understand robots.
    My first Job was writing PL/S programs to control robotics down at a plant in Lexington.......some of you older cats might know the place. .

I was a Freshman in college, and they paid me quite well as a co-op. It is what got me started in this field. I learned as much as I could from the old timers there.

Heck the only reason I got the job is because I knew Assembly Language..........Ye Haw.

Post Thanks / Like
    some of you all are worry warts. i'm more worried about democrats and bernie followers. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    some of you all are worry warts. i'm more worried about democrats and bernie followers. LOL.
    man, you have nothing to worry about, Democrats will take care of themselfs and the Bernie followers will drift away, like smoke rings in the dark of night..
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Assembly Language? The basic of all computer languages.

So you are a programmer... Interesting. That explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    My first Job was writing PL/S programs to control robotics down at a plant in Lexington.......some of you older cats might know the place. .

I was a Freshman in college, and they paid me quite well as a co-op. It is what got me started in this field. I learned as much as I could from the old timers there.

Heck the only reason I got the job is because I knew Assembly Language..........Ye Haw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    So you are a programmer... Interesting. That explains a lot.
    Not a programmer any longer........Many Moons ago, but I've written my share of assembly, C, CICS, Macro, VB, Cobol. ADSO, PL/1, PL/S, Pascal, etc, etc, etc, etc,

I still dabble, mostly in c++, c #, some .NET and Java.......but I'm mostly a Technical DBA.......