Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

TM wiring question

Ok so I bought a newer trolling motor for my old boat and have a question. My plug has only two wires (red and black) while the foot pedal with the new motor has 3 wires (red, black, and white). My old set up was a 12 volt and this TM can be 12 or 24. I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere. So my question, what do I do with the white wire? I'm assuming it's crucial for the 24 volt use but not sure. How do I connect my plug to my foot controller with this configuration?

Post Thanks / Like
    In electric red and black is hot white is neutral or look at schematic

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I'm working with
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3273.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	14558  

Post Thanks / Like
    12-24V trolling motors are the most confusing to wire because the series jump can be made at the battery, plug or trolling motor foot pedal. Are you wanting to wire the trolling motor straight 24 or are you wanting it to be where you can select 12 or 24 V

I have zero first hand experience with wiring a 12/24V trolling motor. I have wired straight 24. I have also took some electrical classes. I do a little work with AC and very little with DC at my job. White is typically neutral in a single phase AC circuit. However in DC I commonly see white as hot and black as ground. It would be hard for me to talk you through it. I would need a meter and physically be at the boat to figure out what you have and what you need. I do know you will need a different plug. The one you have is for 12V.

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured I would wire it straight. Just the red and black to my batteries with a jumper wire to connect the two. I have no experience with 12/24 volt motors only 12. I don't need the option to switch back and forth, would just rather be wired for 24 only. Do I need to change my plug if I do it that way?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a Direct Current (DC) not an Alternating Current (AC)

Electric Trolling motors use 12 volt DC or 24 Volt DC Motors don't they? Is there such a thing as a neutral wire in a DC current. I'm not as familiar with AC current but I could swear that is where you get the term neutral, hot and ground wires in the AC current motors.

We need to clear this up for the OP.

To get 24 volts you would probably need two (2) 12 Volt Batteries hooked together to get a total of 24 volts DC current to the trolling motor.

The length of the wire run determines the voltage drop and the larger the wire size the more current it can carry further. My boat was prewired but the wire gage is not that big. I wish I had a heavier duty wire such as a 6 gage wire in my boat as it's almost 16 ft long from stern to bow. My trolling motor is a 12 Volt Minnkota 55 lb thrust motor and it could use some more power. I had to wire in a new hookup when I got the new trolling motor. So I got some heavy duty hook up plugs that are suppose to go with the Minnkota Trolling motor. I had to place a new heavy duty circuit breaking in line with the Red wire as it's the positive wire and the black in the negative in the 12 Volt DC system. I don't have a white wire. I would suspect that maybe (Now I said MAYBE here) the white wire would carry the other 12 volts DC current from another 12 volt battery if you had a two battery system.

Now they either combine in series or parallel and that I can't remember which way give you the 24 volts total. Think of the DC system as a pipe carrying water. The higher the water pressure the more Voltage pushing the water though the pipes. The larger the pipes in ID the more water than can flow though the pipes. And the longer the pipes the more frictions between the water and the inside surface of the pipe. That's the resistance of the water or the currents resistance in this analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    In electric red and black is hot white is neutral or look at schematic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    I figured I would wire it straight. Just the red and black to my batteries with a jumper wire to connect the two. I have no experience with 12/24 volt motors only 12. I don't need the option to switch back and forth, would just rather be wired for 24 only. Do I need to change my plug if I do it that way?
    If your not going to use the 12 volt side you will not need the white wire. First unplug the plug in, then wire your batteries like you said then take a voltage meter and check the voltage at the plugin and it should read 24 volts. Tape the end of the white wire and put a wire nut on lt or better yet shrink tub it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    If your not going to use the 12 volt side you will not need the white wire. First unplug the plug in, then wire your batteries like you said then take a voltage meter and check the voltage at the plugin and it should read 24 volts. Tape the end of the white wire and put a wire nut on lt or better yet shrink tub it.
    Correct........

Man, i'm glad someone answered his question, without 18 million lines of information that doesn't really help.

Be careful when working with that 24v and those gigantic batteries........they like to bite sometimes. Also, that plug at the front, I'd pull it, look at the wiring behind it and maybe replace the plug and receptor. You can usually buy both at wally world for under 20 bucks, I think.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate all the help fellas. I thought I was on the right track just wasn't totally sure. Thanks again!!
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post