Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing McAlpine Lower from a boat

Anyone ever fish the Ohio under McAlpine Lower gates and the hydro units? I've only ever fished that part of the river from shore at the Falls and from the boat ramp but my friend and I were gonna take a john boat out.

What water level(s) on the gauges and on the dams should I be looking for, both from a safety standpoint and for good fishing?

Also we'd primarily be going for catfish and stripers, so if anyone has any experience fishing that area send me a PM I'd love to chat and compare notes.

Thanks,
    James

Post Thanks / Like

under water dam

Not much help on water levels but make sure that you are aware of the dam that is under the water in the main channel. You need to go around it by the Lock. You can see the dam on the top of Sand Island on google maps. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_33 View Post
    Not much help on water levels but make sure that you are aware of the dam that is under the water in the main channel. You need to go around it by the Lock. You can see the dam on the top of Sand Island on google maps. Hope this helps
    It it better to put in at the new albany ramp and go up by the locks or can you just put in at the ramp across from the dam in clarksville and just go strait across the river??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbstrange22022 View Post
    It it better to put in at the new albany ramp and go up by the locks or can you just put in at the ramp across from the dam in clarksville and just go strait across the river??
    You can put in at clarksville but sometimes it can be hard getting a boat in and out with the current there. Also I would examine the ramp. It has been known to get washed out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_33 View Post
    You can put in at clarksville but sometimes it can be hard getting a boat in and out with the current there. Also I would examine the ramp. It has been known to get washed out.

Thanks for the heads up. Is it better to anchor-up under the hydro units or the tainter gaits? I know that's dependent on how many feet of dam or how many hydro units they're running but what would you recommend

Post Thanks / Like

Lower McAlpine Dam

It is best if you can catch it at around 12-14 ft. and no I would not anchor below the Hydro you may get caught there when they open more units and many anchors have been lost their hung up in the boulders I have fished up there for 30 plus yrs. and I like it at any where from 10 to 14 ft. but at 10 ft. it does get hazardous so you need to know it well or go with someone that does....There is a recorded phone# that you can call and get the levels 502-775-5056 be careful I have seen many boats sink down there, and always wear you life jacket. And I hope you are going in a big river jon boat I would not be in any small low side Jon boat, Time is right but water has been high... Roughriderbill
    Likes waterdog101, jbstrange22022 liked this post