Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Rough River Lake Crappie

Anyone have any info on the crappie at Rough? When are they going to start raising the lake level? COE lake temps haven't been updated since November.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're talking about the COE web page chart ... you're right, it isn't, and it won't be "updated" until the thermocline sets in. That's the only period when any water temp/O2 concentration (surface to bottom) is checked & reported. One other thing ... the readings are taken at the dams of the lakes reported on, so they may not represent readings throughout the lake.

I would think the Crappie are close to the banks, searching for bedding areas & feeding up for the spawn. Lakes in the area (Ky/Barkley, Barren, Taylorsville) are reporting 60's water temps & shallow fish, so I would think Rough would be similar. I don't know, as I don't fish Rough ... but, that's what I've been hearing from people, and I know first hand that is what's going on at Taylorsville, as I was just there yesterday & limited out in a few hours. Males are in their tuxedos and shallow, but the girls are still waiting for the water to clear & temps to come up a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    If you're talking about the COE web page chart ... you're right, it isn't, and it won't be "updated" until the thermocline sets in. That's the only period when any water temp/O2 concentration (surface to bottom) is checked & reported. One other thing ... the readings are taken at the dams of the lakes reported on, so they may not represent readings throughout the lake.

I would think the Crappie are close to the banks, searching for bedding areas & feeding up for the spawn. Lakes in the area (Ky/Barkley, Barren, Taylorsville) are reporting 60's water temps & shallow fish, so I would think Rough would be similar. I don't know, as I don't fish Rough ... but, that's what I've been hearing from people, and I know first hand that is what's going on at Taylorsville, as I was just there yesterday & limited out in a few hours. Males are in their tuxedos and shallow, but the girls are still waiting for the water to clear & temps to come up a little.
    Thanks! I was out at Rough 2 weeks ago and all of the brush piles are still out of the water. I fished about 12 ' in the channels and didn't do much good. Water temps were 59 - 61.