Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Boat title / registration

Hoping someone may have some insight here before I go spend a bunch of time at the clerks office...

My Dad passed away a couple of years ago. He had a Starcraft aluminum boat. It is registered in Jefferson County up until April 30th of this year. The 2016 stickers are on the boat and I have the certificate of registration. However, I do not have the title and I cannot find it anywhere.

I want to register the boat for the next year but I'm not sure they are going to let me. His name was the same as mine with only Jr added to my name. Obviously our addresses and SSN are different. I'm not sure what I can do without the title at this point. I guess all I can do is go to the clerks office and give it a shot. I don't even care about getting the title in my name because I'm never going to sell it. I only want to make sure I can register every year. It has a nice Yamaha motor on it with low hours.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiphunt View Post
    Hoping someone may have some insight here before I go spend a bunch of time at the clerks office...

My Dad passed away a couple of years ago. He had a Starcraft aluminum boat. It is registered in Jefferson County up until April 30th of this year. The 2016 stickers are on the boat and I have the certificate of registration. However, I do not have the title and I cannot find it anywhere.

I want to register the boat for the next year but I'm not sure they are going to let me. His name was the same as mine with only Jr added to my name. Obviously our addresses and SSN are different. I'm not sure what I can do without the title at this point. I guess all I can do is go to the clerks office and give it a shot. I don't even care about getting the title in my name because I'm never going to sell it. I only want to make sure I can register every year. It has a nice Yamaha motor on it with low hours.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
    call frankfort and tell them you have lost the title, but you have the registration papers from 2016 and would like to have another copy of the title made, I think you should get another title in a couple weeks, it's worth a try and I think it will work.
    Likes Kentucky_Bass_Kid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear of you dad passing. I know that feeling.
    Was the boat willed to you? Is your mom still alive? Ya see, if not covered in his will she owns it. If willed to you than the will is the duthoritybto change title from him to you so you then could register in your name. While KY will cut a new title, for you to title boat, title must be signed over to you on back of the title in your dads name, or the will gas to say he gave it to you
    Likes Kentucky_Bass_Kid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    All you need is the tax bill that comes in the mail. Take it to Clerk's office and pay. Never been asked to present title. They only want the $$$$$. I saw a sign in the Clerk's office that said they charge a $3 fee if you lost tax bill. I don't think you will have any problems. You do need to find/ replace title but I think the State of KY will take your money.
    Likes waterdog101, MrPike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Mtb, just take the registration card with you and they will not ask for anything else, or I don't think they will, pay the fee and work on getting the title in your name afterwards. I had the the same situation years ago when my dad passed away and I had no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Registration

You do NOT need the title to get the '17 registration sticker. Old registration is all that is required. They will have all the info on taxes due. They will be more than happy to take your money.