Search Fishin.com

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Louisville. KY
    Posts
    2,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Possession Limit KY

    There has been some confusion in the past on possession limit and creel limit. Laws can be confusing and for the the actual KY laws/regulations you have to look it up in KRS or KAR and not just the fishing guide. Any how this is how it is explained by KDFWR in an article which makes it very simple. It does not answer the question--is this in the field or anywhere?

    "The possession limit is the amount of unprocessed fish a person may hold after two or more days of fishing. In Kentucky, this amount is two times the daily creel limit for any species that has a daily creel limit."

    It is number 3 in this article.
    http://www.fishin.com/forums2/conten...Spring-Fishing

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    861
    Post Thanks / Like
    The optimum word is "unprocessed" ... which IMHO means "not yet cleaned".

    Therein lies the confusion ... if you clean them, then they no longer count towards your "Possession Limit" while still "in the field" ??

    Is this law centered more towards people camping/lodging at a lake & fishing more than 2 consecutive days ... or those stockpiling fish at home in the freezer ?? Or does it cover both accounts ??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Palestine, Illinois, USA.
    Posts
    1,612
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think part of the confusion there is no word unprocessed in the dictionary or at least I can't find it.
    Likes jfw liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    I think part of the confusion there is no word unprocessed in the dictionary or at least I can't find it.
    Just consider the meaning of the word "process" [perform a series of mechanical or chemical operations on (something) in order to change or preserve it] ... so "processed" would mean those "operations" have already taken place ... therefore "unprocessed" would mean that those "operations" have NOT YET taken place. as in ... the fish have not yet been "cleaned" for the purpose of preserving them for future use.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Louisville. KY
    Posts
    2,753
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    The optimum word is "unprocessed" ... which IMHO means "not yet cleaned".

    Therein lies the confusion ... if you clean them, then they no longer count towards your "Possession Limit" while still "in the field" ??

    Is this law centered more towards people camping/lodging at a lake & fishing more than 2 consecutive days ... or those stockpiling fish at home in the freezer ?? Or does it cover both accounts ??
    Now I am more confused. Can you have cleaned (processed) fish in the boat? I am under the impression, no.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Now I am more confused. Can you have cleaned (processed) fish in the boat? I am under the impression, no.
    No, Peter .... I don't think so. I'm thinking the law is aimed at "campers", and stockpiling in your residence.

    But, to be absolutely sure, maybe we should ask the head man at the KDFWR !! THEN we can stop speculating & pass on the correct information, and not take the chance that a member or viewer gets misinformed & ends up in court.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a very contradictory law from the get go. Telling you it's ok to have 40 crappie in your live well when the limit is only 20!!lol

    If you're going to make a bunch of laws, at least make them rational/understandable.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so question to consider. Lets say "what if" I go out today and limit out on crappie, take them home, filet, bag, and freeze them. Then I go back out tomorrow and do the same all the way to the freezer (I am not that good so won't happen but for the sake of this thread lets imagine). Am I out for fishing Sunday until I eat a limit or can I keep fishing??

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Ok so question to consider. Lets say "what if" I go out today and limit out on crappie, take them home, filet, bag, and freeze them. Then I go back out tomorrow and do the same all the way to the freezer (I am not that good so won't happen but for the sake of this thread lets imagine). Am I out for fishing Sunday until I eat a limit or can I keep fishing??


    In your scenario ... you can go every day, catch a limit, take them home, clean/freeze them ... and you are only bound by the creel limit law.
    Possession Limit law is in effect if you STAY at the lake for 2 or more days & stockpile your catch ... is how I interpret it. In that case ... you're not allowed to have 2 limits of fish (per person) on day one, but you are ok to catch a limit every day - as long as you "process" (clean) the fish and store them wherever you're camping or lodging.

    Otherwise ... if the Possession Limit law was meant like you stated, what would be the point of traveling to a lake & lodging there for more than 2 days, if you could only have 2 daily limits in your possession regardless of how long you stayed ?? You'd have to eat a lot of fish while there, in order to maintain less than the Possession Limit from day 2 until you leave.

    Now, again ... my disclaimer is : this is just MY interpretation of the law, as I understand the wording of it. The law stipulates specific conditions -- "after 2 or more days" - "in the field" - "unprocessed fish" ... and that's what I'm using to form my interpretation.

    And I could be wrong, which is why I suggested contacting the KDFWR for a clarification. But, even that may not clear up the matter, as I've "heard" that even among the field officers there are different interpretations.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Louisville. KY
    Posts
    2,753
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    There has been some confusion in the past on possession limit and creel limit. Laws can be confusing and for the the actual KY laws/regulations you have to look it up in KRS or KAR and not just the fishing guide. Any how this is how it is explained by KDFWR in an article which makes it very simple. It does not answer the question--is this in the field or anywhere?

    "The possession limit is the amount of unprocessed fish a person may hold after two or more days of fishing. In Kentucky, this amount is two times the daily creel limit for any species that has a daily creel limit."

    It is number 3 in this article.
    http://www.fishin.com/forums2/conten...Spring-Fishing
    Well, on second thought I guess this sentence from the article does not clear up all the details. It sounded simple.

    I remember this has come up before. To view the pasts discussion type possession limit into the search box at the top middle of the forum to see those comments.

    Just thinking. If a person goes to a cleaning station at a marina to clean their fish and then later in the day drives the boat to the ramp to put the boat on the trailer that person would be in violation because he has cut up fish in the boat on the water going from the cleaning station to the ramp. I think (emphasis on think) that the processed or creel limit language somewhere in the fishing guide and/or KAR mentions you have to be able to identify the species and size (I think). If that is correct then I guess it is OK to have gutted fish in your boat on the water to avoid spoiling and save room?

    If you have a small boat and little cooler space and big fish like catfish or other it is hard to keep fish cool in the summer if you plan on staying on the lake after fishing even if they are gutted. That requires a lot of ice. I guess the response to that is you should have a cooler sufficient to cool and hold all your fish as long as you are on the water. The answer to that is get a bigger boat!

    Also the campers get hosed on the possession limits and the processed thing if they are camping more than two days.

    All this doesn't really apply to my fishing routine at the moment but could come up.

    Quagmire.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked with a friend of mine ... ex State Trooper, turned KDFWR Officer. He says I am correct. Processed means "cleaned", so if you catch a limit on day one, then catch another limit on day two -- you must clean those fish before fishing on day three. Once cleaned, they no longer count towards a "possession limit" . You still have to obey the daily creel limit laws, and other laws regarding the taking/storing/transporting of game.

    REPORT POACHERS ... they're stealing from YOU, as much as from the rest of us !!
    Likes kstonich liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Confusion about creel limit and possession limit?
    By zofishkentucky in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
  2. possession limit
    By voeller101 in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 02:43 PM
  3. Clear on Possession limits !!!
    By Rowdy in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM
  4. Reference Daily limiit and Possession Limit
    By Red Shad in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
  5. Possession Limit clarification?
    By peter in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •