Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Lake Cumberland--Fishing Help--

I am retired and have a boat, I am looking for someone to help me learn to fish at Lake Cumberland and other Lakes near Somerset. I am from Oregon and fished for Salmon a lot but this is new to me!

Thanks Kentucky Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Any particular species ?? Lake Cumberland has quite a few choices !!

Then there's Laurel River Lake to the East ... and Green River Lake to the West.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland

Pappy....I just like to fish.....Crappie----Bass ---Stripers---Catfish----They are all Funn!

I havn't fished any of the other lakes yet......I just got the boat last month, it's a 16ft. Tracker with the walk thru windshield, front platform, bait tank,Minn Kota trolling motor and will fish 2 people easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    and they are all available in those lakes ... well, except Stripers, which are in Cumberland only.

right now, Cumberland and Green probably have Crappie on the beds & Bass seriously thinking about it. Laurel is a normally gin clear water lake, but it does have a good population of Rainbow Trout. Below the dam at Cumberland is also good trout waters.

I would avoid Green this coming weekend ... Crappie USA is having a big tourney, and it could get a little crowded. In fact, with the weather being what it's forecast to be ... I'm not sure I'd be on ANY lake.

Might be a good time to do a little online research ... google up the lakes by name, and check out the websites of interest. You could also check the KDFWR website .... and next time you're in a bait shop or wally world, pick up a copy of the Fishing & Boating Guide. Knowing the laws & limits and such will keep you safe and out of court !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Kentucky!

One thing you might consider is going on a few guided trips. You can often learn more in a couple guide trips than a dozen of your own.
    Likes Kentucky Tracker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FLW just had a tournament on Cumberland

I would go online and look for video from FLW. You can also go to youtube and Scott Martin (he won the tournament) has a nice video of his tournament. It would give you an idea how a pro that had never been on the lake approached it. Most of his fish were caught fishing jerkbaits or shadraps around timber.

Good luck.
    RJ
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info from all of you!!

I have done a couple of trips with a guide for Stripers and learned a lot. I am setting up my boat to troll with 4 poles , 2 side planers but now I need to learn how/where to catch live bait. As far as the Bass go I haven't done much for them yet but want to learn. I have been going to Fishing Creek with the boat because its close to the house & easy to launch. I have a lot of lures & some things that I used in Oregon for Steelhead that I think will work for the Bass but as you all know more is better.
    Mostly I am looking for someone to fish with either in my boat or theirs.

Thanks again, Kentucky Tracker
    Likes FlyLie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Tracker View Post
    Thanks for the info from all of you!!

I have done a couple of trips with a guide for Stripers and learned a lot. I am setting up my boat to troll with 4 poles , 2 side planers but now I need to learn how/where to catch live bait. As far as the Bass go I haven't done much for them yet but want to learn. I have been going to Fishing Creek with the boat because its close to the house & easy to launch. I have a lot of lures & some things that I used in Oregon for Steelhead that I think will work for the Bass but as you all know more is better.
    Mostly I am looking for someone to fish with either in my boat or theirs.

Thanks again, Kentucky Tracker
    IMO, striper fishing is better on the West end of the lake, especially during the summer months.

Post Thanks / Like

FLW Cumberland

It was said already but following this link and read every article and watch every video. Best of luck!!

https://www.flwfishing.com/tournamen...ake-cumberland

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Tracker View Post
    I am retired and have a boat, I am looking for someone to help me learn to fish at Lake Cumberland and other Lakes near Somerset. I am from Oregon and fished for Salmon a lot but this is new to me!

Thanks Kentucky Tracker