Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    A friend of mine who is a tournament bass fishermen down here, told me it's the bumper crop of mustard grass that's killing these fish. I think he could be right, and it's way more reasonable an explanation than the latest from KFW.

He said he has pics of these carp with the mustard grass hanging out of their mouths and draped around their heads. It's probably poisoning their systems.
    They eat plankton not grass don't they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    KDFWR findings posted on their Facebook page.
    Hey jbc or somebody.

Can you copy and paste it here for those who don't have facebook.
    I am sure it is OK to copy from their Facebook page.

Thanks

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    In a Facebook post yesterday, KDFWR released this statement:

It appears that young Asian Carp are succumbing to stressors brought on by insufficient fat storage to get the fish through the winter and spring months. Young but large carp are likely most vulnerable to starvation after a warm winter because the fishes’ metabolism was elevated above that of a normal, colder winter. Because of malnutrition, the fish eventually succumb to secondary stressors such as bacterial infections, which their immune systems would normally fight off. Thanks to our Fisheries biologists and partner the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service for their diligent investigation
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Hey jbc or somebody.

Can you copy and paste it here for those who don't have facebook.
    I am sure it is OK to copy from their Facebook page.

Thanks

Peter
    Likes CaptObvious, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    In a Facebook post yesterday, KDFWR released this statement:

It appears that young Asian Carp are succumbing to stressors brought on by insufficient fat storage to get the fish through the winter and spring months. Young but large carp are likely most vulnerable to starvation after a warm winter because the fishes’ metabolism was elevated above that of a normal, colder winter. Because of malnutrition, the fish eventually succumb to secondary stressors such as bacterial infections, which their immune systems would normally fight off. Thanks to our Fisheries biologists and partner the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service for their diligent investigation
    This is exactly what I thought was happening. They overpopulated and ran out of enough food for all of their massive numbers. This is typical of animal populations that grow out of control from natural predators. They grow in numbers and size until the exceed the carrying capacity of the lake they are in or the land that they occupy and then there is a massive die off from secondary diseases caused by starvation

Deer and Wolf Population on Isle Royal were studied. I was taught this in my wildlife biology classes and my ecology and zoology classes in college. And an environmental scientist student I was free to pick my classes and design my own field of study along with my advisor and I wanted to study some wildlife biology. I took classes in Limnology and Ichthyology as well as Oceanography, geology both historical and physical, Chemistry, physics, Evolution, ecology and microbiology as well as a few other type of science classes. There was this paper back book that we had to read about animal populations and I found that hard to put back down once I started reading it. It was full of shorter stories about population studies that various wildlife biology professors and students had conducted and written papers on.

Nature is cyclic. Lemmings and Snowy Owls and predatory cats are typical predator/prey relationship that are very cyclic. You can plot the numbers on a graph and one animal (prey) graph will rise and fall in numbers and the predator populations will lag being prey graph. Fish are not much different and have to live within the laws of nature just as mammals and other animals do.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if they eat algae too or just zooplankton`

I'm not sure what they eat. They are filter feeders and filter out the food from the water with their gill rakes. They must have clean out all the food and succumbed to some type of viral or bacterial disease due to weakened immune system.

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    They eat plankton not grass don't they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I'm not sure what they eat. They are filter feeders and filter out the food from the water with their gill rakes. They must have clean out all the food and succumbed to some type of viral or bacterial disease due to weakened immune system.
    Spent yesterday on Barkley surrounded by the smell of rotting fish. They are everywhere and fish in their death throes are swimming in circles in the back of every bay. Nasty.

Yeah i like a challenge. Like going to Barkley when TVA has pulled the plug, and 20 mile an hour winds.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    I was down there with Geofisher on consecutive weekends in late March and early April. Dead silver carp were everywhere. Sick looking ones were slowly swimming around the surface in the shallows. I'd love to know what had gotten to them, because we need more of it!
    i hear ya ,they have ruined Harrods reek,every time you hit your trolling motor 6 of them jump

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah i like a challenge. Like going to Barkley when TVA has pulled the plug, and 20 mile an hour winds.[/QUOTE]

Yep JCB, when I go to Ky and when the 20 mph winds are out of the north or south, I usually bring my board. Cowabunga dude!
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad and I fished down there a couple weeks ago and saw an Eagle take one from the shallows and watch it eat the carp as the carp was wiggling still. Also i thought i saw a bigger carp so i flipped to it and it bit... turned out to be a 6-4 bass on a bed lol
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post