Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Asian Carp die off KY and Barkley

KYFW reporting a die off on Barkley and Kentucky. With every one of these I always hope they can learn some way to key on a method of killing them off.

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources

Staff are investigating unexplained deaths or reduced activity in Silver Carp fish in Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley.
    Silver Carp seems to be the only species affected. If you see other fish species dead or behaving unusually in these lakes, please contact Jessica Morris at 270-759-5295.
    Likes slamson71 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was down there with Geofisher on consecutive weekends in late March and early April. Dead silver carp were everywhere. Sick looking ones were slowly swimming around the surface in the shallows. I'd love to know what had gotten to them, because we need more of it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    KYFW reporting a die off on Barkley and Kentucky. With every one of these I always hope they can learn some way to key on a method of killing them off.

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources

Staff are investigating unexplained deaths or reduced activity in Silver Carp fish in Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley.
    Silver Carp seems to be the only species affected. If you see other fish species dead or behaving unusually in these lakes, please contact Jessica Morris at 270-759-5295.
    I was down last weekend and noticed the dead silvers also. Not by the hundreds but pretty well every bay we went in and noticed them in the water there were dead ones on the bank. They weren't the big ones - they were 15 - 18 inches or so and what we noticed is they were "motivated cruising" everywhere we went. Meaning they were on the surface moving fast and making a wake and they were anywhere and everywhere. Many came by the boat a couple even banged off the trolling motor. I must have reached down with my rod and whacked a dozen or so swimming in front of me by the boat. All that said we saw 2 in that "motivated cruising" mode actually beach themselves on the bank and that's when we noted why there were so many on the bank. We were in Rhodes bay on KY Good Friday evening and there was one rock bank and with fish after fish. We did also see a couple dying in the water but the two we saw beach themselves beat everything...
    Likes Kentucky_Bass_Kid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    I was down last weekend and noticed the dead silvers also. Not by the hundreds but pretty well every bay we went in and noticed them in the water there were dead ones on the bank. They weren't the big ones - they were 15 - 18 inches or so and what we noticed is they were "motivated cruising" everywhere we went. Meaning they were on the surface moving fast and making a wake and they were anywhere and everywhere. Many came by the boat a couple even banged off the trolling motor. I must have reached down with my rod and whacked a dozen or so swimming in front of me by the boat. All that said we saw 2 in that "motivated cruising" mode actually beach themselves on the bank and that's when we noted why there were so many on the bank. We were in Rhodes bay on KY Good Friday evening and there was one rock bank and with fish after fish. We did also see a couple dying in the water but the two we saw beach themselves beat everything...
    Hey KC we seen the same exact thing in the same place. We were also in Rhodes bay when we seen them doing that. We were down on Kentucky Lake about 3 weeks ago. There was a ton more carp dead on the surface, or swimming lethargically in very shallow water. THEN THE CRAZIEST THING HAPPENED we seen the carp getting really close to the bank and throwing themselves onto the bank. We seen the carp do this a bunch of times and we have never seen them do that.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Buffalo

Was just down at Kentucky Lake, (April 22) and a lot of small Asian carp either dead or some with a strange growth on their sides, but there was also some large buffalo dead on the shore. I am glad to see the Asian's dying off, but why, afraid it could effect other fish spices.

Post Thanks / Like

???

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    Was just down at Kentucky Lake, (April 22) and a lot of small Asian carp either dead or some with a strange growth on their sides, but there was also some large buffalo dead on the shore. I am glad to see the Asian's dying off, but why, afraid it could effect other fish spices.
    There was one day while we were down at Kentucky lake were it was extremely windy 20-30 mph winds from the north with 40 mph gusts. So we took a ride down to Edgar's Ferry Bridge and walked the new path they have going around it. We seen a lot of dead carp but we also seen a few catfish as well. Something seems a little FISHY if you ask me...
    Likes NeilMac liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just came back from Jonathan creek Thursday and I observed all the previous reported behavior

Post Thanks / Like

KDFWR released a press release on what is happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    That one was from a few years ago when they all died below the dams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    I was down there with Geofisher on consecutive weekends in late March and early April. Dead silver carp were everywhere. Sick looking ones were slowly swimming around the surface in the shallows. I'd love to know what had gotten to them, because we need more of it!
    Yea, I had totally forgot about that Eddie.............They are definitely sickly, and lots, and lots were dead..........

I hope they have something and will ALL DIE........

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the cormorants will eat the dead silvers and die too.
    Likes roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In Little Bear Creek too

There were 7 of us fishing in Little Bear this past weekend (Apr. 20-23) and saw most of the aforementioned traits. I didn't notice the "motivated cruising" what we saw could be described as "unmotivated cruising" at the surface, swimming slowly to the point you could drag a lure across it. We also noticed many beaching themselves flopping up into the rip-rap. The smell was bad since many had done the same before them. I only noticed the silver carp but there may have been other species. Not so sure about the cormorants but I'd be happy if the Canadian geese would eat a few and go back to Canada. All they're good for is honking and $hi++ing
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post