Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I saw 50 or 75 today on Barkley swimming in circles and also dashing towards the shore and beaching themselves. It's really creepy to witness. I just hope they don't get in the way of spawning crappie, redear, bluegill and bass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love to see them all die off. I also hope that they don't make their way into other lakes around the state.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Die off

This is the second time I believe that's happened in that area. I think the first time it was in the tailwater. Let's hope the biologists can find a common thread. Wish we could get rid of them once and for all !

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told last week that it is a algae that is in the water that is killing off the smaller ones, my comment was to double the dose. If that is the case they need to hold the water so hey can get a god dose of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Its not just carp!

I dont know why there isnt more press on this. The fish kill at jonathan creek is getting worse not better. It started with carp i can attest in last 2 or 3 weeks but then a gar rolled up. Today there is a pink fish not sure what kind lookes kind of like a snapper but im not from here and dont know if this lake has snapper. Also now crawling on shore and dying two turtles so far. This could be very serious and I don't like that dept of fish is playing it like its only carp its not!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnylove View Post
    I dont know why there isnt more press on this. The fish kill at jonathan creek is getting worse not better. It started with carp i can attest in last 2 or 3 weeks but then a gar rolled up. Today there is a pink fish not sure what kind lookes kind of like a snapper but im not from here and dont know if this lake has snapper. Also now crawling on shore and dying two turtles so far. This could be very serious and I don't like that dept of fish is playing it like its only carp its not!
    You should call them and inform them. That is the kind of information they are asking for if anyone witnesses it.

If you see other fish species dead or behaving unusually in these lakes, please contact Jessica Morris at 270-759-5295

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnylove View Post
    No ... ain't no "snapper" in these parts. It was probably a Freshwater Drum (sunburned ?? ) as they do look similar to a snapper.

Possibly these fish/turtles have eaten some or parts of the infected Asian Silver Carp ?? KDFWR says the carp are dying because of the warm winter (no fat reserves) and then the rigors of spawning are starving them & making them susceptible to bacterial infections. At least that's the latest theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    If warm winters make it hard for them to survive, how in the world did they thrive in Mississippi and other southern states all these years?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    You should call them and inform them. That is the kind of information they are asking for if anyone witnesses it.
    Yup have already called them and reported the first time they said it was just carp and the second time they said they are monitoring the situation. I sure hope things improve soon. I don't dig the carp but i do appreciate a healthy ecosystem 😊

Post Thanks / Like
    What they have came up with for the carp die is horse poop...best I remember they came from the South(were they have warmer winters) and moved to the North...and there origin is Asia.were its is warm and all kind of Bad crap in the waters...just my thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine who is a tournament bass fishermen down here, told me it's the bumper crop of mustard grass that's killing these fish. I think he could be right, and it's way more reasonable an explanation than the latest from KFW.

He said he has pics of these carp with the mustard grass hanging out of their mouths and draped around their heads. It's probably poisoning their systems.

Post Thanks / Like

KDFWR Statement

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    A friend of mine who is a tournament bass fishermen down here, told me it's the bumper crop of mustard grass that's killing these fish. I think he could be right, and it's way more reasonable an explanation than the latest from KFW.

He said he has pics of these carp with the mustard grass hanging out of their mouths and draped around their heads. It's probably poisoning their systems.
    KDFWR findings posted on their Facebook page.