Search Fishin.com

Thread: The Pits??

Post Thanks / Like

The Pits??

Ok Guy's. Years ago my dad and I used to fish some strip pits west of patoka lake and used to catch a lot of redear. Problem is, I don't remember the name.. just that it was connected to two other pits. any idea's??

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not really sure. There are a lot of little pits in that area but I'll throw out some names. There has been a bunch of pits being bought up over the years.

--Sugar Ridge Wildlife area
    --Lynnville State Park
    --- Bluegrass FWA
    -- Interlake

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelley1487 View Post
    I'm not really sure. There are a lot of little pits in that area but I'll throw out some names. There has been a bunch of pits being bought up over the years.

--Sugar Ridge Wildlife area
    --Lynnville State Park
    --- Bluegrass FWA
    -- Interlake
    It was sugar ridge. My brother said he remembered it. Are there still pretty good gills and redear there?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure but someone on here will know.

Post Thanks / Like

Use Google Earth and get a space eye view of them on there

If you can use Google Earth and see them from space on that program then you might be able to get the UTM map coordinates or a longitude and latitude map coordinate and post it in here. Then someone will know exactly which pits you are talking about. Patoka Lake is a long way from Sugar Ridge F&W Area and Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife Area.

I would have replied sooner but I was not sure where these pits are located so I had not comments until know. I don't know their names. But if the pits are at Bluegrass and Sugar Ridge that's about 50 to 70 miles West of Patoka Lake's Lick Fork Area, which is the closest parts of Patoka Lake to Sugar Ridge F&W area. I drive up to Sugar Ridge all the time but not to fish. I went up there one time and walked a dirt road from the parking lot to a pit and it was covered with GOOSE CRAP and I had to watch where I stepped so as to not get that S*** on my shoes. It was stinking and a hazard. So I never went back to that area. Those pits up at Sugar Ridge are scattered all over the place. They have several areas that are separated from each other by miles. One comes down into Warrick County.

And I remember when the concrete ramp at Otter pit would get Goose Crap all over it. The mother and father geese would walk down the concrete launch ramp with their little ones following behind them. It was a good photo op but they left several piles of goose droppings on the concrete ramp. No wonder the Algae grows on the concrete at the water's edge. Phosphate Mineral is a limiting nutrient. (google it so I don't have to explain it to you). And it helps the grass grow and the corn and soybeans grow and flowers bloom. Without Phosphate the plants don't grow as fast or well. Farmers apply fertilizer on the farm fields around the pits down here. It contains Phosphate, Nitrogen and Phosphorous. The geese eat the grass in these fields and then poop it out on the launch ramp. The rain or boat's coming out of the water wash the poop down the ramp to the water's edge. There the algae growing on the concrete surface under the water grow faster. This makes the ramp slick as snot and it creates a fall/skip hazard at the water's edge. The IDNR needs to do something to kill the algae before someone slips and falls and breaks there neck or an arm or leg. I've seen several older fishermen slip and fall down on the concrete ramp at Bluegrass's Pit's South launch ramp because of the slick algae growing on that concrete ramp.

I'd some times wish that IDNR had slopped the ramp way better and just poured gravel on the area of the ramp. But then that would make holes in the ramp even faster when they stopped the trolling motor only rules. So I'm glad that they put the concrete ramps in. At least the IDNR fills the holes in the dirt at the end of the ramp once in a while.
    Likes voyles liked this post