Search Fishin.com

Thread: Topwater Colors

Post Thanks / Like

Topwater Colors

I have been looking at top water baits and have been wondering if color really matters. If it does then what is the best option...something flashy, something bright in coloration to attract attention, or something dark to outline it against the sun and the top of the water. Just wondering and would like to see what you guys things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky_Bass_Kid View Post
    I have been looking at top water baits and have been wondering if color really matters. If it does then what is the best option...something flashy, something bright in coloration to attract attention, or something dark to outline it against the sun and the top of the water. Just wondering and would like to see what you guys things.
    Honestly, I don't put a lot of consideration on top water colors. For bass anything that has shad or baitfish coloration is what I shoot for - silvers, whites, grays, greens. I like to fish Sammys on KY and have switched colors from say pearl ayu (green back white belly) to aurora black (dark back, bluish sides, silver belly) and not seen any notable change in the bite. Spin around to fishing bluegill on surface - small lures. I like my lures darker as I think bluegill are more drawn to bugs than baitfish. But in the end I still think it is more the action that color on surface that attracts the attention. I was fishing some ponds in southern alabama this morning and catching both bass and bluegill and it is interesting in the different cadences of working small rapalas which would prefer. The bass preferred it quicker more erratic where as the bluegill preferred a slower, twitching more on the surface action. Focus on cadence more than color for what triggers them -- slower and more subdued or faster and erratic. Back to bass sometimes they like to look at it more before committing and other times they trigger by a faster action like the baitfish is fleeing...

kc
    Likes Kentucky_Bass_Kid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I too prefer the Sammy style or walking type baits. My preference is typically similar as above with shad colored sides silver/black combinations however I prefer a white belly. I also often throw a solid bone colored pop r style bait that I really like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't go wrong with bone especially on a river system. Chrome with black back works very well for me too.
    Likes offdtop liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

simple

keep it simple, go shad colors. i use bone only

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer bone color also blue chrome