Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

What's going on, on Barkley and Ky lake?

I know they are trying to combat flooding, but they are still pulling so hard???? Is the lakes region still getting pounded with rain? Can't help but watch the levels all day. Love our yearly trip!!! My dad and I were coming down Sat May 6th-13th for our yearly vacation to flip bushes and drag flowers. BUT that's high and dry! The rain they expected doesn't seem to have come? And now no water in the lake. I don't want 13' up in trees, but DEFINITELY don't want Winter pool!!!!!
    Is it raining? Is it coming back up?
    PRAYING FOR 360!
    HELP! Thoughts?
    God Bless.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just rode over to Barkley and Ky dams this evening. Both dams are sucking hard. Barkley has five tainter gates open and Ky has 13 spilling.

I'm a pan fisherman and I can tell you they jerked the bluegill and redear off of the shores with this latest **** down. I believe they sucked it down two feet in 24 hours, at least that's what I heard. I can't stand it, I'd rather see a lake on the rise or flooded.

Post Thanks / Like

Tva stop! Please!

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    I just rode over to Barkley and Ky dams this evening. Both dams are sucking hard. Barkley has five tainter gates open and Ky has 13 spilling.

I'm a pan fisherman and I can tell you they jerked the bluegill and redear off of the shores with this latest **** down. I believe they sucked it down two feet in 24 hours, at least that's what I heard. I can't stand it, I'd rather see a lake on the rise or flooded.
    EXACTLY! Arise and flooded over 4' down. Will not waste my time. If I want to throw a spinning rod and lite line I will go to St. Clair. I wait all year dreaming of flooded brush and flowers!!!! And they pulled the plug for rain that didn't fall. And still dropping it to a flooded Miss. Don't understand. Two guys died from getting to close to the open gates way up stream! And so far they never had to open them. So sorry to hear this.

Post Thanks / Like
    A buddy and I went for a quick 3 day trip this weekend. I've never saw the lake be sucked like it was. Was very disappointed the fish had moved out. I don't have many humps or points I can go to as we are usually flipping bushes and buzzing flowers. We managed a few, but overall bad terrible trip!! Water dropped almost 3 foot while we were there. It looked so promising on Wednesday too. Water was perfect level then.Heard those bags from the tournament were caught on south ky. Near Paris.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwormy View Post
    A buddy and I went for a quick 3 day trip this weekend. I've never saw the lake be sucked like it was. Was very disappointed the fish had moved out. I don't have many humps or points I can go to as we are usually flipping bushes and buzzing flowers. We managed a few, but overall bad terrible trip!! Water dropped almost 3 foot while we were there. It looked so promising on Wednesday too. Water was perfect level then.Heard those bags from the tournament were caught on south ky. Near Paris.
    Pretty much mirrors our weekend. Found a few near deep water and on secondary points but man we worked hard for those. We caught a BUNCH of crappie on crankbaits. Everyone we talked to fishing crappie was slaying them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer...flipping bushes has to be some of the most fun you can have spring fishing. It's a shame that the water levels have mirrored a roller coaster this spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelley1487 View Post
    Bummer...flipping bushes has to be some of the most fun you can have spring fishing. It's a shame that the water levels have mirrored a roller coaster this spring.
    Amen on that. But looks like a upswing? Maybe? IDK? I'm this close to pulling the trigger to go to St. Clair instead. But still praying for the water and fish to come back. Tva seem to change their page finally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swimjigboy View Post
    I know they are trying to combat flooding, but they are still pulling so hard???? Is the lakes region still getting pounded with rain? Can't help but watch the levels all day. Love our yearly trip!!! My dad and I were coming down Sat May 6th-13th for our yearly vacation to flip bushes and drag flowers. BUT that's high and dry! The rain they expected doesn't seem to have come? And now no water in the lake. I don't want 13' up in trees, but DEFINITELY don't want Winter pool!!!!!
    PRAYING FOR 360!
    HELP! Thoughts?
    God Bless.
    I think Dave's report this week gave us the insight. There was flooding above KY lake earlier in the week which started the spilling but with the crazy rains and flooding on the Mississippi, Misouri, and Ohio valleys they are going to have to hold back the big lakes soon so it will swing the other way. It has dropped 2+ feet since Thursday and projected to drop 3 feet by Monday. How far up nobody knows but so far with this current weather system I think it is a small blessing (for the big lakes) that the rains so far have stayed west and north. Still got to get through tonight and tomorrow. I am betting by next weekend it will be back above summer pool - hopefully not too much. I passed on a trip this weekend aiming for next and I am hoping the fish won't be too skittish to come back in...
    Likes CaptObvious, Dave Stewart, peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    USA Sassin had a two day tournament 4-28-29. Weights were the strongest I have seen for a tournament at KY lake. 1st place weight was impressive for a two day total but what stands out is over 100 teams had a two day limit and even 100 th place had a strong weight.

too see how all 220 teams done click on view all in the top ten results

http://www.usabassin.com/modules.php...ampionshipID=8

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Why they are pulling so hard

Quote Originally Posted by swimjigboy View Post
    PRAYING FOR 360!
    HELP! Thoughts?
    God Bless.
    I could be wrong but I heard that downstream both Pickwick and Nickajack reservoirs flow into the Tennessee river which then flows and makes up Kentucky Lake. They are trying to dump a lot of water because they are expecting both Pickwick and Nickajack to flow into it and fill it right back up. As of now Pickwick is spilling until further notice as they are trying to get it back down to summer pool and they are dropping it quick. Nickajack is also spilling intermittently until further notice. This means that all of the water from both of those reservoirs will be flowing into Kentucky lake which is why they are dropping it at an alarming rate.
    Likes peter, swimjigboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Heading to st Claire. May 15.. can't wait. Hopefully it's a lot better than Barkley this year. Lol. However, the next two weeks the weather looks to be cool so it will probably be terrible too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwormy View Post
    Heading to st Claire. May 15.. can't wait. Hopefully it's a lot better than Barkley this year. Lol. However, the next two weeks the weather looks to be cool so it will probably be terrible too.
    bigwormy where do you stay when you are at St. Claire?

Hope you have a great trip.