Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ready to move to the next level

My son is 15 and I have taught him everything I know about bass fishing. I know the best teacher is time on the water, but I'd like to accelerate his knowledge by exposing him to other bass fisherman that are better than me. He has the basics and has more gear and ability than I do at this point. Hiring a guide is the obvious answer and we will do that. Are there any other ideas on how I can expose him to more anglers?

Appreciate any thoughts.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Where does he go to school? Does his school have a team? I would get him involved with that. He could get the opportunity to fish with other teens as well as boat captains who could teach him a thing or two. I have learned more in 2 years of fishing with high school kids than I had in my previous 6 or 7 years of fishing combined. If they do not have a team, I would encourage him to read articles and follow the pros on social media. These days that is often the best outlet for young people to learn. I know some of the high school fishermen I am around have caught lots of fish off of techniques they learned on instagram or twitter from the pros.

Post Thanks / Like
    Time on the water is the best teacher but as important is time on different lakes. The more he experiences the nuances of different types of lakes and the techniques that lend themselves to those bodies of water the better an angler he will become. Have him keep a fishing journal too.

Barry Guest
    Also might consider fishing as a co-angler? There are several formats to try, local state federations and BFL's or regional events BASS Opens, and FLW series or tour. Most of time you can find someone to prefish with as well. Just have to do a little home work to find someone to practice with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fishfry.....great advice. I can't keep him off of social media. He watches hours and hours of fishing videos. I started the highschool team this year. We had three boats fish regionals. Of my three boat captains and six kids, My son was the only one who had fished a tournament until then. I feel privileged to help others become exposed to the enjoyment of bass fishing, but I am in need of more expertise. I am reaching out to our alumni to see if I can find people with more experience and I have a couple guys willing to come talk to the boys for seminars, but I am struggling to find ways to get them on the water with more experienced fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Might check into some fishing camp/schools. I know Kurt Dove has one for youth anglers. in about its 6th yr or so and seems to get good reviews.

Sent u PM too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spending a day on a lake with a good guide like Dave Stewart would be both educational and a fun father/son trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave Stewart's Class

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Spending a day on a lake with a good guide like Dave Stewart would be both educational and a fun father/son trip.
    I'd also recommend he attend one of Dave Stewart's classes. We did it last fall. Spent 7 hours in Dave's garage. Very informative and very worth the time and money. We spent a couple of hours on water with Dave as well but it was primarily an educational trip. I have no affiliation with Dave whatsoever. Highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by x30wakeman View Post
    I'd also recommend he attend one of Dave Stewart's classes. We did it last fall. Spent 7 hours in Dave's garage. Very informative and very worth the time and money. We spent a couple of hours on water with Dave as well but it was primarily an educational trip. I have no affiliation with Dave whatsoever. Highly recommend it.
    Yeah my son and I took it a few months ago and we really enjoyed it. I almost mentioned that too but I think he only does it during the off season and I just assumed the OP was looking for something more immediate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the ideas and information......much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave's class elevated me and my buddy from "fishermen" to "Anglers"! Lol. I am still a terrible fisherman, but I have a real game plan when I head to the lake. Just trying to fish the better odds areas!