Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer question

Last weekend, had a a tire and bearing blowout on my trailer. I replaced the hub, races, seals, bearings, as I have done before. I took it for a test drive about a mile or two up the road and the bearing and tire was heating up. The brakes were not warm at all. The tire had no wobble, grease was okay. Thought the bearing nut may have been too tight, loosened it, but the tire and bearing was still heating up. I plan on changing the brakes, hoping it will solve my issue. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buchy1210 View Post
    Last weekend, had a a tire and bearing blowout on my trailer. I replaced the hub, races, seals, bearings, as I have done before. I took it for a test drive about a mile or two up the road and the bearing and tire was heating up. The brakes were not warm at all. The tire had no wobble, grease was okay. Thought the bearing nut may have been too tight, loosened it, but the tire and bearing was still heating up. I plan on changing the brakes, hoping it will solve my issue. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Did you get a BIAS or Radial tire......I put bias tires on this past time, and will never do that again............they run hot, if you ask me.

they also wore out really, really fast.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a radial tire, same as what I have on the other side. Tire pressure was fine as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a radial tire, same as what I have on the other side. Tire pressure was fine as well.
    Did you put in new races and everything...........did the spindles look ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    it's normal to get warm to touch, not hot.
    if your brakes aren't dragging, and you put bearings/races in correctly, your axle is bent.

Post Thanks / Like

So, how hot is too hot

I always feel my tires, and the hubs when pull to KY lake. Usually half way......

Lately, my cheap azz tires seem to be a lot hotter. I have a laser temp gauge, and when I check the hubs, they are usually about 90...........the tires range from 110 to 150 or so.......I think that seems hot.

later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    if you're in fahrenheit, i'd say that's ok. if celcius, you gotta problem.
    if tires are hotter than hubs, it's not your brake causing problem.
    probably bent axle or under inflated. need 50lbs.
    tandem axles should be mandatory on boat trailers to prevent fish tailing.
    Likes GeoFisher, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    I always feel my tires, and the hubs when pull to KY lake. Usually half way......

Lately, my cheap azz tires seem to be a lot hotter. I have a laser temp gauge, and when I check the hubs, they are usually about 90...........the tires range from 110 to 150 or so.......I think that seems hot.

later,

Geo
    Farenheit.

Post Thanks / Like
    have you hit a pot hole or curb or something that would cause tire to be out of alignment

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the input. Not sure exactly what the issue was, but took the hub and everything off and reset it. Drove it for about 20 miles with no issues. Looks like I'm headed to the lake this weekend to get rain on.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post