Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cavitation plate question

I recently took a chunk out of my cavitation plate and have priced a new housing for the lower unit. A few folks have suggested to get a piece welded to repair it to save a bit on costs. Has anyone ever had this done? If so, did it hold up very well? Are there any places in the Louisville area that could take on something like this? I know exactly 0 welders. Any info is much appreciated!!

Post Thanks / Like
    cavitation plates are easy fixes. not so for skegs. there's not near as much stress on the plate unless you get a piece of wood between the prop and plate. i would check for bent prop shaft. don't know any welders in your area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, yea prop and shaft look fine luckily. Trying to get a lure out of some brush and the wind got me...pushed me right into a boulder. Whatever the cost winds up being, saving a $5 lure was definitely not worth it. Lesson learned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a picture of it? I might be able to tell you if it is weldable by the picture, especially in the area where it is broken so I can see what the metal looks like across the thickness. Cast aluminum isn't going to be a good candidate for welding. I TIG welded a crack in a cast Aluminum/Magnesium engine case on my lawn mower and it didn't hold for very long, I can weld any metal you put in front of me & cast Aluminum/Pot metal is the worst.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may be able to put a foil over it
    Likes killer3862 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrrose03 View Post
    I recently took a chunk out of my cavitation plate and have priced a new housing for the lower unit. A few folks have suggested to get a piece welded to repair it to save a bit on costs. Has anyone ever had this done? If so, did it hold up very well? Are there any places in the Louisville area that could take on something like this? I know exactly 0 welders. Any info is much appreciated!!
    Take it to tuckers prop shop in Clarksville IN.
    It will look like new when they are done, and way cheaper than a new housing
    Last edited by toomanycasts; 05-20-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Misspelled
    Likes MrPike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Called Tucker's today and they quoted me reasonable price but sounded like they were pretty backed up, which is to be expected this time of the year. Also reached out to professional marine and well...I'll just leave it at that. Sounds like it'll be while before anything gets fixed, but the info is definitely appreciated!! Oh, tried putting a picture on here but having some user difficulties lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Welding aervices

Jrrose03 give me a call. I would need some pictures but can most likely make the repair. I assume your broken piece is now fish structure at the bottom of some lake. 859-699-8705 Rob