Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Side Imaging is the best tool in DECADES

Guys, if you don't have side imaging......GET it........if you DO have side imaging, really, really learn it.

I purchased a Helix 7 last year, and upgraded to a Helix 9 this year. I can tell you unequivocally that side imaging can help you catch fish. CAN is the optimal word.

This past weekend, I used SI in combination with mapping to target very, very specific areas and had a quite successful trip. Side Imaging was able to confirm what I though underwater, and Man oh MAN, it was bad azz..........

On the right stuff, you could catch a bunch of fish.

I'm not really good at picking out the feeders, versus the non feeders, but I could pick out which areas were holding fish. Using methods taught to me nearly 10 years ago by Dave Stewart, I was able to pick the right ones, and have successful back to back to back days.

I'm so happy with my setup, I'm getting rid of my SI up front ( helix 7), and getting a 9 or gen 2 so I can see it better, and network it........I think the ability to see SI while on the trolling motor might be a necessary upgrade. .

Always something to buy......

Now, I just need to get out with Dave and take a Ledge class .

Later, have fun, and Tight Lines.

Geo.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    yes new age electronics are simply amazing
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the new Solix Big Screens

I wish I could get one of the new Humminbird Solix 15" screens and be able to see the screen better in daylight (bright sun light). My older Humminbird 898C SI unit's screen is hard to see well in the daylight. But if I make a recording and then take it back home and play it with Humviewer on my computer it shows me all the detail I need. I need a dark room on my boat to be able to see the screen. LOL. I have a shade for the screen but it's still hard to see the screen most of the time unless it's over cast outside. I'm talking about seeing the small things on the screen like the fish and the fish shadows that tell you if the fish are suspended higher in the water column or down by the bottom.

If you really want to see details get up close to the object you want to view with sonar and then use the higher frequency setting and cut down on the range. That will maximize the details on the screen where you can see the underwater object better.

I had to find some PVC fish attractors that were in the water in a known area but could not be seen with the lower frequency sonar waves and the range set out to 100 ft on each side of the boat. I adjusted the screen to only show the right side of my boat and then switched to the 800 KHz frequency setting and finally the PVC fish attractor showed up on the screen. It was much smaller than I thought on the screen. I knew it was Ten Feet Tall and had ten legs that were each ten feet long. Five feet sticking out on each side of the main truck. The main trunk is made from a ten feet long by 4" ID diameter PVC pipe. The main truck had two feet of concrete inside the bottom of the truck and a cap on the top with a fun noodle stuck inside the top 3ft to help the top stay upright. It was shown standing up on the bottom with the legs sticking out of the main truck. I catch fish off this fish attractor when the area is quiet in the late fall and winter months. It's at the right depth to hold fish in the fall of the year. I wish I could take them out of the water and move them to another location but that would be too difficult. They are hard to see and find and I can't scuba dive anymore. My gear got destroyed by the heat in my attic. It got so hot up in the attic before I had the roof ridge vent installed that the rubber straps on my fins, mask and other gear melted and or dry rotted and fell apart. And I'm not in that good of health so it would be silly to replace them just for one or two dives. It's cheaper just to make some more PVC fish attractors and put them in other spots. Like I said I did catch fish off them a few times. Other people are able to fish this spot and catch fish from the bank. But some people hog the spot and don't allow other's to fish there.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Guys, if you don't have side imaging......GET it........if you DO have side imaging, really, really learn it.

I purchased a Helix 7 last year, and upgraded to a Helix 9 this year. I can tell you unequivocally that side imaging can help you catch fish. CAN is the optimal word.

This past weekend, I used SI in combination with mapping to target very, very specific areas and had a quite successful trip. Side Imaging was able to confirm what I though underwater, and Man oh MAN, it was bad azz..........

On the right stuff, you could catch a bunch of fish.

I'm not really good at picking out the feeders, versus the non feeders, but I could pick out which areas were holding fish. Using methods taught to me nearly 10 years ago by Dave Stewart, I was able to pick the right ones, and have successful back to back to back days.

I'm so happy with my setup, I'm getting rid of my SI up front ( helix 7), and getting a 9 or gen 2 so I can see it better, and network it........I think the ability to see SI while on the trolling motor might be a necessary upgrade. .

Always something to buy......

Now, I just need to get out with Dave and take a Ledge class .

Later, have fun, and Tight Lines.

Geo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Bird DI and I love it.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Geo - are you saying you can see fish with the SI while scanning areas picked out on the map? I have limited experience with SI. I had a cousin of a friend last year set up a pair of Lowrance HDS units and was breaking them in and took me along for the ride checking out his new toys. He is a crappie fisherman on the big lake and likes to scan the bays for "tops" in which he would then waypoint and navigate back to with the GPS. But although he was just learning his new toys he said he didn't see fish with it except he said sometimes he could see large shadows he thought were asians or some other large rough fish. I spoke with another acquaintance last week who had a successful bluegill trip on KY lake and said he found bluegill nests using SI. This caught my attention as I find nests the old fashioned way - cover water and pay close attention and cheat some by remembering where I found them before when I don't find new ones. I can only imagine how many I don't notice as there are nests in every bay but I haven't found nests in every bay. Always something to buy is right and we are on a tight budget currently but you guys have me thinking. I hunt and peck on the ledges as well -- sure would be nice to have better eyes out in the open water. Down scan is nice and I wouldn't give mine up for the moon but I am not a fan of riding over fish I plan to turn around and target...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can see fish on SI. If looking for smaller fish like bluegill, crappie, or bass, you need to turn the range down so you can see them. Otherwise, you can't see 1 12 inch bass while looking out 100 ft to each side. Smaller fish are harder to see obviously, unless they are in big schools.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some advise

Just a quick question I bought the 1198 si a couple years ago, how would ya'll recomend a guy learn to use it.
    Thanks Mack

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch all the youtube videos you can, specifically Doug Vahrenberg