Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Cabelas King Kat tourn.

Forum member "Lowerider" Scott Cress and Carl Crone repeat for a win out of Mt. Vernon Ind. on the Ohio river with 91# today.
    Likes Wormin, riverrat12, redearhoosier, voyles liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good deal..Congrats to them! Love catching them big cats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Catfishing is a growing sport it appears. Since I moved from the Louisville area to Lake Barkley, it's amazing how many people I've run into who target cats.

BTW, my wife swears the catfish down here are way better eating than the ones up around Louisville...I've heard others say this too...wonder why?

Post Thanks / Like
    I do think that the blue cats taste the best.I have been cat fishing for years and I have noticed that cat fishing have grow a lot here lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Think about the water they live in and what's put in water

Louisville, KY and other cities along the Ohio River and the Rivers upstream of the Ohio River dump thousands of gallons of polluted water into these rivers. I would not want to eat any fish coming out of the Ohio River. I inspected all the Major Factories in my home town of Evansville, IN and saw what they produced and the wastes they all generated. From Breweries, Grain Mills, Whirlpool Corp's Two Factories, Plastic Factories, TV Factories (Zenith), Furniture Factories, and many other small factories they all dumped untreated chemicals into the sewer system. And the sewer system just pass those chemicals out into the Ohio River with very little if any treatment to the water. Only the organic solids were taken out of the sewer water before dumping the chemicals into the river. Now every other city along the Ohio River is doing the very same thing. So where do all these chemicals go? They end up in the bottom of the Ohio River sediments and get concentrated as they move up the food chain. And the top of the food chain lies the big catfish. Now who wants to eat some catfish fillets? Not me! You can keep your PCB's and other chemicals that don't degrade easily but get concentrated in the flesh of the fish in the river.

Then look at what's upstream from Lake Barkley in KY. Not nearly as many factories in the Tennessee River as the Ohio River. So less pollution and more dilution of the pollutants and therefore the fish don't have the same amount of contaminates in their flesh.

This is why the are agencies in the states that test the fish for contaminates and give fish consumption advisories to the public for different bodies of water.

If you want to eat catfish for dinner I would recommend getting them from a clean bodie of water and eat the smaller fish. They had had less time to get contaminated vs the really big fish. Think about how many contaminated little fish that the really big catfish have eaten in their lifetime. The older they are and the bigger they get the more contamination they will accumulate in their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Catfishing is a growing sport it appears. Since I moved from the Louisville area to Lake Barkley, it's amazing how many people I've run into who target cats.

BTW, my wife swears the catfish down here are way better eating than the ones up around Louisville...I've heard others say this too...wonder why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Barkley is a Cumberland River impoundment. Downstream from Nashville and Clarksville.

A small flathead is tough to beat. Smaller fish have less time accumulate pollutants in them. Cut out the yellow looking meat from the fillets and the flavor is greatly improved with any catfish.