Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fish Value

Post Thanks / Like

Fish Value

from Canada, but but I don't see a Canuck “board”, so “when in Rome”.

Tonight I was down at “Walmart” checking out the tackle and whatnot. About this time I had a sobering thought [(The amount of money spent on fishing gear and supplies.) / (Amount of fish caught.)] = Fish Value. The fish value is scary, because it tells you how much each fish you've caught actually cost you. Of course this isn't taking into consideration sunburn lotions, worm stank, the mental cost of my buddy playing “KoRn” on his phone, or the sheer volume of snacks and drinks. Or when “You capitulate two/thirds the way through the fishing trip and go for Sushi at a restaurant.”. I'm pretty sure that most of my tackle is coated in fish guts/+blood. That little trout I pulled out of the creek has a Fish Value of about $20.00.

Then I remembered something else. Fishing might seem like a “waiting game” to the folks who don't participate, but for the angler for whom it has “clicked” we almost beg the sun to fall slower so we focus on the line longer. At some point it clicked. Do you know what I mean by clicked? It clicked when I stopped waiting for fish to bite and started paying attention. I seem to recall standing there with my rod in my hand, index finger on the line, eyes closed so I can focus on every vibration working its way from the worm, to the hook, to the terminal, to the tip of the rod, to my hand. Then BAM You've WON! The line pendulums chaotically and your fishing rod starts jumping. In an instant the guys around you look at you and you know that they know that your not just for show. The Fish Value I mentioned doesn't take this into consideration.

That being said money is an important factor and as a fisherman I would like to reduce my Fish Value, learn to become a more skilled angler. I look forwards to learning new skills and helping other anglers too.

Pleased to meet everyone.

Salute from the North...no, further North.

-Jo
    Likes BKGOOCH, joey heller, CaptObvious, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNDN_Jo View Post

Tonight I was down at “Walmart” checking out the tackle and whatnot. About this time I had a sobering thought [(The amount of money spent on fishing gear and supplies.) / (Amount of fish caught.)] = Fish Value. The fish value is scary, because it tells you how much each fish you've caught actually cost you. Of course this isn't taking into consideration sunburn lotions, worm stank, the mental cost of my buddy playing “KoRn” on his phone, or the sheer volume of snacks and drinks. Or when “You capitulate two/thirds the way through the fishing trip and go for Sushi at a restaurant.”. I'm pretty sure that most of my tackle is coated in fish guts/+blood. That little trout I pulled out of the creek has a Fish Value of about $20.00.

Then I remembered something else. Fishing might seem like a “waiting game” to the folks who don't participate, but for the angler for whom it has “clicked” we almost beg the sun to fall slower so we focus on the line longer. At some point it clicked. Do you know what I mean by clicked? It clicked when I stopped waiting for fish to bite and started paying attention. I seem to recall standing there with my rod in my hand, index finger on the line, eyes closed so I can focus on every vibration working its way from the worm, to the hook, to the terminal, to the tip of the rod, to my hand. Then BAM You've WON! The line pendulums chaotically and your fishing rod starts jumping. In an instant the guys around you look at you and you know that they know that your not just for show. The Fish Value I mentioned doesn't take this into consideration.

That being said money is an important factor and as a fisherman I would like to reduce my Fish Value, learn to become a more skilled angler. I look forwards to learning new skills and helping other anglers too.

-Jo
    Enjoyed your post, hey Jo welcome to KY, digitally.

Post Thanks / Like
    i try not to think about it

Post Thanks / Like
    what money you don't spend on fishing, you will just waste on something else...

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CNDN_Jo;562402]from Canada, but but I don't see a Canuck “board”, so “when in Rome”.

-Jo[/QUOTE
    I wish I had some partners that just shut up sometimes when we're out fishing

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome cndn_jo. It "clicked" with me when my buddies that hunted but didn't fish would ask me for a few fillets all the time. Click! Hey, you got a freezer full of venison or you just made some deer jerky, how bout giving me some jerky? I could use a roast every now and then. Turn around is fair play, right? I liked your thinking about the cost of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I wish my fish value was $20!!!
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    I wish my fish value was $20!!!
    I'm right there with ya, dude !! LOL !! Mine are closer to $200 ...... per OUNCE !! (and that's just the ones I kept !!)
    Likes Wormin, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Budgeting all my related costs and calculating each fishing trip is the last thing I want to do. IMHO that is the antithesis of what I want to be thinking about while I'm fishing. How much I spend is considered ahead of time and viewed as money spent on a hobby/enjoyment, but once spent I don't fret over it.

Then when fishing while of course everyone prefers to catch as man as possible, but ultimately I simply enjoy the fun of being on the water, being outdoors and close to nature, possibly getting a little exercise, and a bonus if I get to do so with one of my children. The bottom line I just enjoy that entire process of fishing, the challenge and the rewards. Having more success is just a bonus.

I did enjoy your post, it was an interesting read. Welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Fishin.com. Love Canada.

I love the way you write. Welcome to Fishin.com. Peter should make a forum for the Canadians in here. I had the pleasure of fishing in Ontario's Eagle Lake and Eagle River many years back when I had just graduated from high school.

Quote Originally Posted by CNDN_Jo View Post

-Jo