Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Caverun area fishing

Where are some good places to fish in the cave run area? Im new to the area and i have been trying to find a good place from the banks and catch some catfish bluegil crappy or bass. Thanks in advance for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    The spillway (below the dam)

The banks around the launch ramps (just NOT on the ramps themselves or the courtesy docks). But, be aware that some ramps require a parking fee. (Boat ramps: Cave Run Lake has 12 ramps for boat launching. A fee pass is required to use Alfrey, Claylick, Poppin Rock, Long Bow, Scott Creek and Warix boat ramps. Passes may be purchased at local vendors or at the Cumberland Ranger District office.)

There are some spots along the highway (801) running along the lake where a vehicle can be pulled off the road ... and there's obvious "trails" down to the shoreline, where people have parked & walked down to fish.

What I would do is pull up Google Maps and zoom down on Cave Run Lake & the roads around it ... and look for access spots. But, bare in mind that the map is going to show the lake at or near Winter Pool. The Summer Pool shoreline may be a bit hard to determine from the map, but it will be close to the treeline. The good thing about seeing the lake at Winter Pool is that it will show laydown logs & standing timber stumps ... which would indicate good spots for the fish you seek. You can also see if the bank is steep & rocky or shallow & sandy, and in some cases you can see where the deep banks drop off.

You could also call the Ranger office for the lake & ask them about access spots. 606-784-6428

You can check this link : https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...540714719&z=16 .... to see if any of the habitat put out by the KDFWR is close to any bank access spot. Click on the colored panel at the bottom left of the overlay map to get a satellite view (like Google Maps), zoom down and you'll notice that most of the habitat spots are well offshore. Not all of them, so check out those that are closer to the shore & see if there's access to those spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Cave Run Area Bank Fishing

Cave Run itself is a good bank fishing lake. You may have to drive around to find the right spot but I have had great days fishing from the bank. You should start out at the marina. Park in the marina parking lot and walk toward the ramp, look to your left and you will see a path. This goes for a long way along this bay. You have deep and shallow water and can always find some sort of fish. Next would be a few miles around the lake. You will go around a steep curve and see water on the left of the road. This back water area is great for bank fishing. Big muskies travel up in this bay every spring to spawn and this time of year the catfish start to move back to the same areas. Last would be the north fork of the licking river(still Cave Run). Look for Poppin Rock on your map. Right before you get to ramp is a road to the left(coming from Morehead). This will take you along the lake shore, you can park right at the water and walk the road to fish. This place gets full on the weekends and will have people camping at the pull-offs this weekend but is really good fishing thru the week. All these places are better in the spring but you should do fine this early in the summer. Good luck. I fished these areas while going to collage and now I have a boat but will still take a few days a year to enjoy the day and throw from the bank.
    Crankinstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing to consider, when bank fishing, is the water level. Currently the lake is 1.8ft above Summer Pool ... which would limit a lot of shoreline areas.

I use this site : http://lrl-apps.lrl.usace.army.mil/w.../lkreport.html ... to check on water levels. You can also click on the blue numbers of the current water level in the chart, and it will take you to a chart showing the past year's levels, & rainfall. The first chart also shows the current rate of outflow at the dam, which is key to fishing the spillway & downstream ... since low flow rates don't usually bring many fish into the spillway area --- and extreme flow rates are difficult to fish in.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

I appreciate the help guys!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtv1995 View Post
    I appreciate the help guys!!
    No problem !! Just help US out and give a report on how you did, when you do go !! Even simple stuff like : water color, weed/moss growth that's noticeable, seeing numbers of boats congregated in one area & how they were fishing ... is all good info that we can't always get from website reports.