Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland Stripers

I am heading down to Lake Cumberland tommorow and thursday to striper fish. Not sure if I will night fish or troll by day.

I would like to troll most likely and wondering where the stripers have been biting. Just a general idea of where to start looking is what I am after since this is my first striper trip since February. Any tips would be appreciated. If you would rather PM me that is fine too.

Thank you all in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    I went and trolled until about 2 today. 1 Smallmouth. 1 Striper. Almost 26". Lake is WAY up and lots of floating debris. The wind picked up mid morning and blew a lot of the debris to the banks so thats good. Fish were finicky. Smacking and killing shad on my weightless boards on top but wouldn't commit

Post Thanks / Like
    pm sent

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update MrPike!

I'll be heading down to Jamestown Sunday afternoon to fish through the week myself. Any more tips would be greatly appreciated and I will happily return the favor if we have any luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went back Friday and took a friend. Fished for 8 hours before finally caught 2. A 31" and a 27" Started on the flats but debris made it rough on us to troll so I finally made a move and got them 5 minutes apart on a steep bank near a creek mouth. 30' lead was the ticket on both fish. 1/4oz weight. .8 mile an hour.

Fishing is tough right now with the debris and scattered fish but hopefully will pick up soon after the spawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Down lines and some planer boards are working. The fish are getting much more aggressive now and have a ton of spunk. I broke a bunch off eight or nine I think over the last three days). Time for a line change? you bet!! Down lines 35-40 ft out on the sides of points 40-55 ft of water. Also fish higher 15-25 ft in the pockets. Those seem to be the smaller fish. Fish are starting to show up over open water. Broke one off and caught a 24" on a board in over 90 ft of water while chasing down a loose board from yet another broken line. I finally scrapped boards and went with just down lines and loose drag so I could chase them down. They are still scattered but starting to bunch up in typical summer fashion.
    Likes BKGOOCH, peter, MrPike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys pull live bait on planar boards or artificial? I have a fold and troll and four boards but really don't know what I am doing with them. I tried it a couple times without any success and gave up. I think I would really enjoy doing it if I knew what to do. Any pointers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Down lines and some planer boards are working. The fish are getting much more aggressive now and have a ton of spunk. I broke a bunch off eight or nine I think over the last three days). Time for a line change? you bet!! Down lines 35-40 ft out on the sides of points 40-55 ft of water. Also fish higher 15-25 ft in the pockets. Those seem to be the smaller fish. Fish are starting to show up over open water. Broke one off and caught a 24" on a board in over 90 ft of water while chasing down a loose board from yet another broken line. I finally scrapped boards and went with just down lines and loose drag so I could chase them down. They are still scattered but starting to bunch up in typical summer fashion.
    Thanks Duayne. That gives me a real clear picture of what is going on. Been a couple weeks since I have been there and going to be a couple more but it's good to know what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    Do you guys pull live bait on planar boards or artificial? I have a fold and troll and four boards but really don't know what I am doing with them. I tried it a couple times without any success and gave up. I think I would really enjoy doing it if I knew what to do. Any pointers?
    I've pulled both live and artificial behind boards at one time or another, but typically if you see planer boards being mentioned as a tool, they are referring to live bait unless otherwise specified. That generally applies to striper fishing on Lake Cumberland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Thanks Duayne. That gives me a real clear picture of what is going on. Been a couple weeks since I have been there and going to be a couple more but it's good to know what they are doing.
    You are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    We fished Friday night mostly around Jtown but the debris was horrible at best, caught a smallie and a largemouth, seen several shad close to be bank but didn't hear many blow ups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been having pretty good luck all week but the bite is slow. Fish are scattered and finicky about bait. Best luck at creekmouths from zero to 45 ft deep pulling shad on planars slow.
    Likes peter, MrPike liked this post