Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

i want to start catching them on topwater

I typically fish creeks (elkhorn) and small lakes (corinth, reba, etc) on my kayak around lexington. What is your favorite topwater lure and how do you fish it? Is morning/evening best time to catch on topwater? Any other tricks? Not going for monsters, just want to get the technique down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tiny or Baby Torpedo ... clear : shady banks in the AM - usually a jerk jerk pause routine

Boy Howdy or Cotton Cordell twin prop ... clear or white : open water / clear water / standing timber - 2 jerk pause 3 jerk routine

Twin blade buzzbait ... blue/char skirt : rocky bank / rip rap / standing timber - retrieved just fast enough to keep it on top

LOL ... I guess you can tell that I'm "old school" when it comes to Bass fishing !!
    Likes zx150 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm partial to walking baits and buzz baits, neither are complicated to use and can be had relatively cheap. I'm not afraid to spend a little more on a good top water bait because I'm less likely to hang it up where I cant retrieve it. Buzz baits around cover and walking baits in open water.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome creek fun

Get a Rebel crickethopper and cast it near the bank. Barely move your rod tip so that the bait doesn't move but just makes ripples in the water. We catch bluegill, readeye, rock bass, largemouth and smallmouth. Tight lines.
    RJP

Post Thanks / Like
    Corinth lake, hour and a half or so before dark till an hour and a half or so after sun up. Zoom horny toad, texas rig, no weight. Throw it at the bank and fish it over the weeds. Usually twitching the rod tip as I reel so the legs are kicking. White or chartreuse so you can see them. Zoom trick worm fished the same way. Buzz bait fished tight to the weeds. Caught a bunch of bass there from the yak when I lived in Lexington.
    Likes GeoFisher, fishincreek, kstonich liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love throwing the Whopper Plopper!! The blowups on them are the best I have ever seen on any topwater (including frogs). I like throwing the 130 series better but since you are fishing in creeks I would try the smaller 90 series. I have thrown the Double Plopper (buzzbait style) but don't really like it as much. My favorite color is the bone but have caught fish on the Loon and on the Monkey Butt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends the location as to what I throw. I have 3 top water boxes. Buzz baits poppers torpedoes whopper ploppers frogs mice ducks

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to wake a spinnerbait. You can throw most any spinnerbait you already have. Just lift the rod tip up a bit more then normal and speed up the retrieve enough to make the blades pop out of the water occasionally. Willow leaf blades work especially well.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I like a Rico popper on glassy water, early and late. I like a buzzbait on water with a ripple or little wind. I will mix it up with a suspended jerk bait. If a lot of grass is along the bank I like to throw a ribbit or frog.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    Early in the morning and late in the evening. Cover determines the bait for me. I love walking baits like the spitn' image or the Sammy across big rocky points and along rocky banks. In areas where there is more cover like lay downs and gravel to mud bank transitions and what not I like a pop R style topwater bait like a knucklehead or spitn popr or Rico or the larger Rebel brand Popr's. I prefer bone colored or white belies. I like blue or silver sides typically too. Also prefer to throw on Mono. Enough stretch but not too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    I typically fish creeks (elkhorn) and small lakes (corinth, reba, etc) on my kayak around lexington. What is your favorite topwater lure and how do you fish it? Is morning/evening best time to catch on topwater? Any other tricks? Not going for monsters, just want to get the technique downn .
    Nolin Lake under wax bridge early morning , Zara Spook Jr Okie shad color,walk the dog ,fish around the pylons, I will go as far as guarantee you a blow up , dont set hook until you feel him