Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Please help with Rough River Lake

I need some help with fishing Rough River Lake. I usually just skip it and fish Malone or Nolin, but I only live 30 miles away from Rough and I would really like to have a place to take the boat and fish for a while that isn't over an hour away from home. That's where I need help.

I usually put in at Cave Creek, Peter Cave, or the State Ramp, since those are the closest to my house. Yesterday, I put in a Cave Creek, and fished all around there and the Cannons Point area. I fished for 6 hours starting at 5:30am and I never boated a fish. I fished from Peter Cave the weekend before, and only boated 3 bass that were all small.

What tips can you give me to help me with fishing this lake? I can usually scratch out at least a few fish that are decent when I fish other lakes, but Rough River Lake has always been tough for me.

I'm not a tournament fisherman, and I usually don't keep bass, so you don't have to worry about me stealing your spots or taking your fish. I just want to catch some on what should be my "home" lake.

Thanks in advance guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fish at night, Rough is way to crowded to fish during the day. And fish slow, you can pick up some fish cranking but, I think you will have better luck with a jig n pig or soft plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rme hunter View Post
    Fish at night, Rough is way to crowded to fish during the day. And fish slow, you can pick up some fish cranking but, I think you will have better luck with a jig n pig or soft plastic.
    Agreed on the slow part. Jig, shakey head, and drop shot are all that would be on my deck. Maybe a topwater for schoolers. I don't catch the big bags that others do there, but I always catch fish. I would be looking at main lake points and secondary points.