Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hybrid Stripped Bass stocked at Guist Creek and Taylorsville

KY Fish and Game tweeted out they stocked Guist Creek(19,000) and Taylorsville Lake(60,000) with hybrid stripped bass today. Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the KDFWR website :

Distribution and Habitat: In Kentucky, hybrid Striped Bass are stocked in Herrington, Barren River, Rough River, Guist Creek, Taylorsville, Linville, and Fishtrap lakes. They are also stocked in the Ohio, Kentucky, Green, and Barren rivers.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They have stocked them in both lakes for over 10 years. Guist had a 14lb hybrid caught this spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I work for fish and wildlife and they are also doing a study is a couple lakes to see what strain of hybrids do the best. The original was made using the white bass male and female striped bass. They been trying the opposite to see what ones does the best. There is some great hybrid fishing in this state!!!
    Likes PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    From the KDFWR website :

Distribution and Habitat: In Kentucky, hybrid Striped Bass are stocked in Herrington, Barren River, Rough River, Guist Creek, Taylorsville, Linville, and Fishtrap lakes. They are also stocked in the Ohio, Kentucky, Green, and Barren rivers.
    i don't know if they stocked them in Sympson lake near Bardstown, but I've caught several from that little lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    I caught a huge hybrid in Lake Cumberland. They are there too
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by MrPike View Post
    I caught a huge hybrid in Lake Cumberland. They are there too
    But kdfwr will tell you there aren't any in cumberland. Myself & several buddys that striper fish have caught several of them in cumberland. They are definitley there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lance Sasser caught a really nice one last Sunday on Cumberland. Officially, they are not there but there are a few. As they are not officially there, anglers must follow striped bass size and creel limits and a kept 22" or larger hybrid counts in the striped bass creel limit.

Lance and I talked about it for a few. I always thought they were there due to the white bass experiment a few years ago and the whites and stripers naturally produced some hybrids during spawn. Lance thinks there was just some spill over at the hatchery. He knows much more than I do all the way around when it comes to stripers so I will defer to Lance on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Lance and I talked about it for a few. I always thought they were there due to the white bass experiment a few years ago and the whites and stripers naturally produced some hybrids during spawn. .

Stripers don't spawn in Cumberland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    i don't know if they stocked them in Sympson lake near Bardstown, but I've caught several from that little lake.
    Yeah theres some hybrids in there. I guess they were stocked a few years ago to solve the shad problem in the lake. I havent fished there in years. They require a yearly permit to lanch a boat and have the locals guard it like some wannabe park rangers. The lakes not worth that much trouble. I live 5 minutes from it and would rather drive 30 to tville any day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcclark View Post
    Stripers don't spawn in Cumberland.
    Whether they are successful or not can be debated but stripers do attempt to spawn on Cumberland and that cannot be debated. Generally, fresh water lakes are not suitably dense enough to float striper eggs for the 30-70 hours needed for successful reproduction. There was some consideration at one point that the salt released from the Fruit of the Loom factory did create a dense enough water for limited successful reproduction but that is neither here nor there for this discussion.

White bass can and do spawn successful in fresh water (obviously). White bass eggs fertilized by striped bass is (or was?) possible on Cumberland. I do not know if they are continuing the attempt to return white bass but they did for a while and some hybrids showed up soon after that. Then again, maybe there is an occasional mix-up at the hatchery as hybrid reports have been spotty for years.