Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Beginner to fishing

Hello all,

i am am new to KY and to fishing. I am leaving tomorrow for a family reunion at a lake in KY. I would like to do some fishing there. I had a question about fishing licenses. Do I absolutely need one before I go? What are the chances of me fishing and getting hassled at a private resort? I intend on getting one as I continue the sport, as I want to obey the sport and state laws, but was just curious about the amount of people that actually get one. Also, I'm headed to Dicks today to get some starter equipment, so any suggestions on what to get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes..

Post Thanks / Like
    I would buy the licenses,then you are legal to fish anywhere and start out simple and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beg2fishing View Post
    Hello all,

i am am new to KY and to fishing. I am leaving tomorrow for a family reunion at a lake in KY. I would like to do some fishing there. I had a question about fishing licenses. Do I absolutely need one before I go? What are the chances of me fishing and getting hassled at a private resort? I intend on getting one as I continue the sport, as I want to obey the sport and state laws, but was just curious about the amount of people that actually get one. Also, I'm headed to Dicks today to get some starter equipment, so any suggestions on what to get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    There is a 1 day for 7 bucks, cheaper than a ticket and a little peace of mind, then you wont be looking over your shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

Please do

They cost $20/year, you can order them online and print them off at home. I also have a copy screen-saved on my phone. Unlike many taxes, this money is used to defray the costs of a lot of good stuff like the FINS program. I've been a new fisherman for 1 1/2 years and I've never been checked, but I know people who have been. Just do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Better off just buying your license. I get checked pretty often by the guys in green so the 20$ is worth every penny to me.
    What kind of fish are you targeting so people can give you a better idea for advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckykingfisher View Post
    Better off just buying your license. I get checked pretty often by the guys in green so the 20$ is worth every penny to me.
    What kind of fish are you targeting so people can give you a better idea for advice.
    Unfortunately, like many that are new to fishing and/or the associated websites, they wait until the last minute before their trip to ask these questions.

Yes, it would have been nice to have had a few more days for members to answer - identified the particular lake - identified the particular species (if any) - and explained what equipment he intended to buy to pursue those species.