Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Office park pond fishing

I live and work in Jefferson County. Near my office building, in the middle of an office park, is a pond -- pretty good size, about 2 acres, I think, maybe more. A few years ago I asked a lady at a neighboring real estate office if it was ok to fish there, and she said yes, she sees people fishing there occasionally.

I fished there once on lunch break, and caught nothing.

After a few years without a license, I got a fishing license for Father's Day. Trying to think of places to explore for fishing, I remembered this pond. I went and looked at it again yesterday, in the middle of the hot daytime.

I saw no fish. I saw no one fishing. I did see some old fishing line half-buried in mud...but that was the only sign of anglers I saw. No lines or lures in trees, no lost bobbers, no dead fish, no discarded bait containers.

I did see frogs, turtles, geese, and ducks.

So...think there are any fish there? Could be fished out and everyone else knows it. Or maybe it was fished out, and everyone knew it, but there is something there now. Or maybe everyone thinks it's a bad place to fish but the common wisdom is wrong because no one challenges it. Or maybe there are conditions (eutrophication or something) that make it bad. Or maybe people do fish there successfully but I never see them. Maybe all the people in the office park are non-anglers. Maybe there are huge catfish and schools of decent bluegill, wondering why no one bothers them.

One way to find out, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep

Throw a little fish food out there. Probably attract some geese and goldfish anyway. If no game fish show up, then you are just feeding the geese.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man an hour of fishing is better than an hour of working any day of the week. Give it a shot regardless. Try a ultra light rig with a Bobby Garland minnow and see what happens.
    Likes zx150 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: I spent 30 minutes on lunch break a few days ago, throwing a little beetle spinner. I did see fish: very small sunfish hiding in the rocks right up on the bank were hitting the lure. This gives me hope that there might be more. I will go back and try something different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know what time you start work. I would get there a little early and give it a try before you start your shift. Morning may be a better bite. Like the above said a little fishing is better than nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Small ponds

I agree with the early deal if possible. Another trick I used to do everytime when fishing small ponds is to cast before you get all the way down to the water. Fish will get right up on the bank and they feel your foot steps, usually ending in a poof of mud where it swam off. Being stealthy really ups your odds. The fact that you could see the little fish close to bank makes me think a bass or two might have them looking for cover and there probably isn't much cover out deeper. Good luck !1

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be throwing a weightless fluke, 5" with 5/0 wide gamagatsu hook. With this rig you fish high or low it just a speed change, white is my stand by color.

Post Thanks / Like
    So the issue here is oxygen. All of those little corporate ponds get massive algae blooms which then die off and rot and **** all the oxygen out of the water. the turtles love that since they breathe air and eat dead fish.
    They are usually full of little sunfish and not mush else, but I occasionally hit a catfish or two.