Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing on Cave run lake

I was going to take my wife for a day on the lake. Haven't ever fished Cave run. Would prefer bass fishing and will probably stay and fish till about 1am. It's the closest lake to me. Will fish during the week.
    Should I be fishing the main body of the lake or up a river arm in the timber. I just don't know anyone who fishes the lake so will be starting from scratch. If anyone can point me in the right direction bait types (big-small). I would appreciate it and will report when I get back.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have never fished cave run before I would stay out of the river channel especially the licking river section. It is dangerous, tons of stumps just inches under the surface. I've been going up so far and marking a way and I still find a stump just feet from where I had been before. Beaver is marked but the farther up you go some of the buoys have disappeared and can be confusing. If I were you once the sun goes down I would hit the grass flats. I was there last week and all my fish came off of a Texas rig worm. Cave run has plenty of standing timber, Caney creek has several coves and once you pass the no ski buoy its loaded with standing timber. I wouldn't go out there July 4th week or any weekend, a lot of pleasure boaters. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Likes CaptObvious, MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I had heard about all the timber in the creeks and will avoid what I can, but going where most smart people don't is always a draw. But engine repairs get expensive quick.
    Ill probably stay main lake with my wife in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

results

Went Wednesday afternoon on the water at 2pm, in the water 230, what a hot day to be on the lake very little breeze 93 and high humidity, so this was more of a swimming trip than fishing. We had planned to stay out and do some night fishing but unfortunately the restaurant at the marina is only open Thursday - Sunday and the wife cancelled that.She wanted something for dinner Woman.
    As for thee fishing we did manage 2 fishing on plastics fishing the out side edges of weed banks, 4 on a frog during a short downpour and just before dark , One on drop shot around some XMass trees.
    Spoke with one fisherman who do good dropshoting structure.
    I liked the lake and will go back, but will not go when its so hot.
    Likes fishincreek, MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cave run labor day week 2017

3 of us spent 3 days fishing main lake but were not very successful was all day fishing we used minnows and night crawlers and 50 different lures. Had one rainy day and other two days decent. Got back in some of the creeks and there are many standing tree just below surface messed up a prop last time was there even going very slow. Water temp needs to drop a little more.