Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New fishing Regs to be considered

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission Calls Special Meeting
    Agenda for July 7 meeting includes fisheries, wildlife items

The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission will meet in Frankfort for a special called session at 8:30 a.m. (Eastern time) July 7.
    The commission will consider several fisheries and wildlife-related items. All recommendations made by the commission must be approved by legislators before they become law.
    Items on the agenda include:
    Establishing a statewide daily creel limit of 20 crappie;
    Setting the statewide daily creel limit for trout at eight rainbow trout and one brown trout; brown trout must be at least 16 inches;
    Adding five Fishing in Neighborhoods (FINs) lakes, removing three FINs lakes and restricting possession or use of live shad for bait on FINs lakes;
    Removing the 15-inch size limit for largemouth bass on Beaver Lake;
    Increasing the minimum size limit for crappie on Taylorsville Lake to 10 inches;
    Removing special harvest regulations for crappie, sunfish and bluegill on Benjy Kinman Lake;
    Adding special fish harvest regulations on Willisburg Park Pond;
    Establishing a 15-inch minimum size limit for largemouth bass and a daily creel limit of 15 bluegill on Beech Fork Reservoir;
    Implementing the same blue catfish regulations on Barren River Lake as those in effect on Taylorsville Lake;
    Changing identification information requirements concerning jugs, trot lines and set-line (limb-line) fishing;
    Allowing the use of dip nets statewide;
    Clarifying that all shad restrictions refer to live shad;
    Adding protections against raccoon rabies in the USDA surveillance zone in eastern Kentucky;
    Meeting in executive session, if necessary.
    Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission meetings are open to the public. Sessions are conducted at the Arnold Mitchell Building on the main campus of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. Kentucky Fish and Wildlife headquarters is located at 1 Sportsman’s Lane (formerly 1 Game Farm Road) in Frankfort. The entrance is located off U.S. 60, approximately 1½ miles west of U.S. 127.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some interesting things to look at there. State wide limit of 20 crappie would be fine with me since i could never catch a 30 fish limit anyways. Would the 10 inch size limit on tville help? Seems like in the spring i would catch 100 fish a day and still not catch a limit sometimes.
    Likes BKGOOCH liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckykingfisher View Post
    Some interesting things to look at there. State wide limit of 20 crappie would be fine with me since i could never catch a 30 fish limit anyways. Would the 10 inch size limit on tville help? Seems like in the spring i would catch 100 fish a day and still not catch a limit sometimes.
    A 10" size limit on T-ville wouldn't hurt my feelings ... but, only if the data showed that the lake would benefit from the size increase. And by that I mean that the population would continue to thrive, as well as reach that 10" length on a consistent basis.

Like you, in years past, it was nothing to catch 100 Crappie in a day at T-ville & sometimes not get a limit of keeper sized fish. BUT, in Spring of 2015 & 2016 ... 11-14" fish were there in huge numbers, and catching a limit of them was fairly easy. Not so much this past Spring 2017 ... whether their numbers had been reduced significantly in the previous two years, or the flooded conditions of the lake were to blame, I don't know. I just know that, for me, it was back to weeding through the sub-legal sized fish to get many in the 9-10" lengths. But, even then it was more like a 3:1 ratio and not a 10:1 (dink to keeper) ratio.

Dropping the state wide limit from 30 to 20/day wouldn't affect me much, either. But, I can hear my Green River Lake guys crying already. LOL !!

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the Taylorsville regs for catfish that they want to implement on Barren?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    What are the Taylorsville regs for catfish that they want to implement on Barren?
    Blue & Channel Catfish - 15/day & only ONE can be over 25 inches long.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard they did implement the statewide 20/day Crappie creel limit ... and likely passed the 10" size limit for Crappie on Taylorsville ... but, haven't seen anything in print, yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission Proposes New Fishing Regulations for 2018

FRANKFORT, Ky. (July 7, 2017) — The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission proposed several new fishing regulations at a special called meeting today.
    The commission recommends all hunting, fishing and boating regulations for approval by the General Assembly and approves all expenditures by the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. All recommendations must be approved by legislators before they become law.
    If approved by legislators, fisheries regulations proposed at the meeting would take effect March 1, 2018.
    In fisheries-related business, commissioners recommended reducing the statewide daily creel limit on crappie to 20 fish per angler per day. They also proposed modifying the statewide daily creel limit on brown trout to one fish per day with a 16-inch minimum size limit. Rainbow trout will be under an 8-fish daily creel limit. Anglers will be able to use dip nets to collect baitfish statewide.
    Commission members also proposed changing the way anglers tag jugs, limb lines or trot lines. Instead of using their name and address, anglers using these fishing methods can use the “Customer Identification Number” provided on their fishing licenses to tag their jugs, limb lines or trot lines.
    In addition, the commission recommended increasing the crappie minimum size limit to 10 inches on Taylorsville Lake. They also proposed placing blue catfish in Barren River Lake under a 15-fish daily creel limit; only one fish may be longer than 15 inches.
    They also proposed removing the 15-inch minimum size limit on largemouth bass on Beaver Lake in Anderson County and placing Benjy Kinman Lake in Henry County under statewide regulations for crappie, bluegill and sunfish.
    On Beech Fork Reservoir, also known as Staunton Reservoir, in Powell County, the commission recommended instituting a 15-inch minimum size limit on largemouth bass and a 15-fish daily creel limit on bluegill.
    Another proposal recommended placing special regulations on Willisburg Park Pond in Washington County: a 4-fish daily creel limit on channel catfish with no minimum size limit; a 15-fish daily creel limit on sunfish with no minimum size limit; and a 1-fish daily creel limit, 15-inch minimum size limit on largemouth bass.
    Recommendations also included restricting the use of live shad for bait on all Fishing in Neighborhoods (FINs) lakes. All restrictions on using shad for bait refer to live shad, not dead or packaged shad, used for bait.
    In wildlife-related business, the commission recommended the implementation of a three-tiered classification system for wildlife management areas (WMAs). The system would allow the public to better understand whether an area is actively or passively managed, and the staffing levels for each area.
    Finally, commissioners proposed implementation of regulations restricting the movement and rehabilitation of rabies-vector species the U.S. Department of Agriculture surveillance area in eastern Kentucky.
    The next Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission meeting is currently scheduled for 8:30 a.m. (Eastern time), Friday, Sept. 8, 2017. Meetings are held at Kentucky Fish and Wildlife headquarters, 1 Sportsman’s Lane off U.S. 60 in Frankfort.
    ###