Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Asian Carp locations

Hey folks;
    I want to bust the cherry on bowfishing. I am lead to believe that the dams at Kentucky and Barkley are essentially overflowing with them, but that's a three hour drive from louisville and I have never done this before. I'm no stranger to not getting fish, but a six hour round trip to get skunked is not attractive. Is there any action to be had from the shore below McAlpine?

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how thick they are below the dam but I know they are pretty thick in some of the creeks down closer to deer Creek. I had several jump in the boat with me as I idled up and back out of them last summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    This may be the first thread on the entire internet that complained about the lack of Asian Carp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
    Hey folks;
    I want to bust the cherry on bowfishing. I am lead to believe that the dams at Kentucky and Barkley are essentially overflowing with them, but that's a three hour drive from louisville and I have never done this before. I'm no stranger to not getting fish, but a six hour round trip to get skunked is not attractive. Is there any action to be had from the shore below McAlpine?
    Bow fishing is prohibited at the fossil beds. As mentioned before the feeder creeks are full of them. Had a hard time keeping them out of my cast net Fri. Now I get to repair them Grrr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, you got your picture taken on Friday while the search was on for that missing body.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIVERRAT.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	15108
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	riverrat at the lower.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	15109 From WDRB news
    Likes riverrat12, jfw liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post

Name:	riverrat at the lower.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	15109 From WDRB news
    Yep they got me with there drone lol. I thought it was a police drone. Sad part I have talked with the drowned fisherman on more than one occasion. Be careful out there guy's. Chuck
    Likes Wormin, Bobby Headrick, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not chuck that's his decoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went down there Sunday to scout and saw the prohibition on bowfishing. I guess it's too dangerous for the concrete and rebar rubble pile to have arrows around.
    Regardless, I saw no carp. Is Deer Creek south of McApline? I'd prefer to not need Indianan licensure, but I am not opposed to it in principle if I can shoot from the bank at actual fish

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen them below the spillway of Taylorsville Lake (Salt River) ... but, I don't know if they venture up the Salt River that far unless the water flow is high.

Whatever you do, and wherever you do it ... take the fish home & eat them, or dispose of them properly ... PLEASE !!

Many reports of dead Asian Carp with arrow holes in them have been spotted stacked up and left on the bank around boat ramps on some of our lakes. They stink to high heaven when they die and are left to bake in the Sun. Kill them, photograph them, then take them home (for fertilizer or food) or get them back out into the water they came from ... not on the bank or ramp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
    I went down there Sunday to scout and saw the prohibition on bowfishing. I guess it's too dangerous for the concrete and rebar rubble pile to have arrows around.
    Regardless, I saw no carp. Is Deer Creek south of McApline? I'd prefer to not need Indianan licensure, but I am not opposed to it in principle if I can shoot from the bank at actual fish
    I would think shooting from the shore would be pretty slow. Most do it from a boat at night with high powered spot lights. I would like to help you more but simply don't hunt them, I have enough problems with them when I am trying to get bait. As pappy said dispose of properly. And kill the heck out of them. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Yep they got me with there drone lol. I thought it was a police drone. Sad part I have talked with the drowned fisherman on more than one occasion. Be careful out there guy's. Chuck
    Don was out there too,he told me they opened the upper dam 4 ft at once .. Guys when they blow the 30 second siren , at the end of the siren they open the dam . Who else thinks they should look around with binoculars? Maybe that could have been avoided. But the bottom line when fishing at the falls wear your PFD
    Likes Tyme2fish liked this post