Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
    Hey folks;
    I want to bust the cherry on bowfishing. I am lead to believe that the dams at Kentucky and Barkley are essentially overflowing with them, but that's a three hour drive from louisville and I have never done this before. I'm no stranger to not getting fish, but a six hour round trip to get skunked is not attractive. Is there any action to be had from the shore below McAlpine?
    They are thick in Harrods creek

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went down there Sunday to scout and saw the prohibition on bowfishing. I guess it's too dangerous for the concrete and rebar rubble pile to have arrows around.
    Regardless, I saw no carp. Is Deer Creek south of McApline? I'd prefer to not need Indianan licensure, but I am not opposed to it in principle if I can shoot from the bank at actual fish
    Deer Creek is in indiana. The creek I was in was in Kentucky. Not sure the name of it. This was the first time I was in it. It was more like a ditch that opened up when you get back into it. It was farther than cloverport up river coming from deer Creek.

Post Thanks / Like
    My plan with them is absolutely to eat them. From what I can see online about butchering them (is that the right term with fish?) there's a fair bit of waste, but my opinion is that removing them from the gene pool is enough, getting a calorie or two out of them is bonus points. The remnants after processing make pretty good tomato bed fertilizer from what I've read too.
    I'll try Harrod's creek, and thanks for all the help, folks! If I kill some I'll post updates on turning them into edible food too.

Post Thanks / Like
    My plan with them is absolutely to eat them. From what I can see online about butchering them (is that the right term with fish?) there's a fair bit of waste, but my opinion is that removing them from the gene pool is enough, getting a calorie or two out of them is bonus points. The remnants after processing make pretty good tomato bed fertilizer from what I've read too.
    I'll try Harrod's creek, and thanks for all the help, folks! If I kill some I'll post updates on turning them into edible food too.
    Good for you !!

You may want to look up KY Afield videos on YouTube ... and see if you can find the one where they cleaned Asian Carp (how to) and then cooked them a couple different ways.

I've eaten them ... and find them to be OK, taste-wise. Kinda reminded me of White Bass, with their slight "fishy" taste, but the consistency of the meat is much firmer. And I say they were "OK" taste-wise, because they were part of a fish fry that consisted of Crappie, Stripers, and them ... with my primary favorite fish being Crappie. Would I pay $$$ to eat them in a restaurant .. nope .. would I turn them down at a Asian Carp Only fish fry .. nope. LOL !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Come down to the base of Cannelton dam, next to the Hydro and shoot all you want. They are super thick down there next to the Hydro.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have shot a few below the taylorsville lake dam. I decided to filet one out one night and was surprised it was pretty good. I grilled mine with blackened seasoning and it turned out well. I wouldnt do it often but because they are a bit of a hassle to clean but nothing wrong with them. Watch youtube videos if you need help with the cleaning process