Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Post Newbie Needs Help!

Hi Everyone,
    Name is Derik. I am new to Louisville, but more importantly i am a new bass fisherman. i am trying to learn the ins and outs of the proper way to Bass Fish. The major problem that i am having is locating good places to bank fish in my area. I would love to find new areas and i definitely would love to find some good ponds that i am allowed to fish. i am located in the Hillview area off of Preston Highway.
    Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
    Likes chadmack282 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You can try the fish and wildlife website and look up the F.I.N.S lakes near you. They usually provide good bank access. Hard to beat a plastic worm or a tube jig bass fishing in those lakes
    http://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/Fishing-...hborhoods.aspx
    Last edited by kentuckykingfisher; 07-10-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Posted the link to make it easier
    Likes peter, chadmack282, Dizzy2786, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckykingfisher View Post
    You can try the fish and wildlife website and look up the F.I.N.S lakes near you. They usually provide good bank access. Hard to beat a plastic worm or a tube jig bass fishing in those lakes
    http://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/Fishing-...hborhoods.aspx

Thanks for helping.

I remember starting from scratch never having have fished as a kid. That is the reason fishin.com and a pre 1995 servce was started... so people could learn how to catch fish. Starting out and years later fishing holds many unknowns and help is really appreciated. I think we all rember the peoople that helped us through the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Year and years ago I and my friends used to fish at Fisherman's park. It is a group of ponds that used to be pay lakes. The government (I believe) bought it and turned it into free fishing. The great thing about the park for me, there were several different layouts and each one fished a little different than the others. I haven't been there in years. It's a straight shot up the Gene Snyder for you. We also used to fish McNeely Lake quite a bit too and that isn't far at all from you. The better places this time of year was all the way back on the golf course side.
    Likes peter, chadmack282, Dizzy2786, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really wanna try to learn about fishing I general I would suggest getting in a local stream somewhere. I learned so much about fishing while standing in water up to my knees. From reading structure/water, to patterning certain fish tendencies, to bait presentation, and the list goes on. Most streams hold a variety of species as well so u get an identification education as well. If you get serious about landing larger fish on a budget, consider a kayak for access to larger bodies of water. Don't have to be fancy with ur purchase. I fish quite well out of mine and have less than $300 in the whole rig. Most of all, Have Fun and welcome to the world of bass fishing. Oh and jot down notes after each trip like weather, temp, bait used, color, etc. Invaluable info to look back on. With practice and study u will eventually remember some of the patterns and techniques without the need for the notes.

Barry Guest
    Floyd's Fork would be an option. You can check out the website http://www.theparklands.org/ for maps and flow rates. It has some nice small mouth fishing and if you could get a kayak it would be better trip. Which if I remember right you can rent them.
    Likes peter, Dizzy2786, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The fossil beds of the Ohio around Clarksville and Jeff are one of my favorite places in the area to visit. Never fished there but I usually wind up talking to someone that is there fishing and more times than not they are catching something (including the occasional bass) and most of the guys and gals that are fishing doesn't seem to mind sharing a little information. The only thing they do seem to mind is when someone comes in and sets up a little too close to them. I can dig that.
    Likes Dizzy2786 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    The fossil beds of the Ohio around Clarksville and Jeff are one of my favorite places in the area to visit. Never fished there but I usually wind up talking to someone that is there fishing and more times than not they are catching something (including the occasional bass) and most of the guys and gals that are fishing doesn't seem to mind sharing a little information. The only thing they do seem to mind is when someone comes in and sets up a little too close to them. I can dig that.
    You never know what you're going to catch down there....walleye, sauger, striper, hybrid, smallie, lmbass......catfish, drum,......LOTS, and LOTS of stuff.

I cut my teeth at the fossil beds for many years before I got a boat.

Pay attention to the water levels, and when/where the water is up. also, be CAREFUL. the current down there, when it is rocking is deadly if you go in.

I've never had much problem though, just a word of warning.

LLook for eddy breaks and places fish can hide and ambush. You can find them all up and down teh locks. If you pay attention, and REALLY are careful, you can usually walk way, way out up by the dam and get across the fossil beds, and find some good areas that have current. Those areas can be fantastic for fish. I have caught a hundred wipers and striped bass there in a good day.......

HAVE FUN.

Later,

Geo
    Likes Dizzy2786, Bent Loomis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

If you don't mind a 30 min. drive up I-71 north to henry county exit 28 in Pendleton, Lake Jericho is a mile from the exit. It is a 100 acre lake with a lot of bank fishing available. Has some good bass there and its just $1.50 to fish and they do rent john boats. Very nice small lake. If you want more info on the lake just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom Wallace lake isn't far from you. Small lake they stock trout in the spring. Saw a guy catch an 8 pound bass from that lake. Guess eating the trout made him that big. Best fishing for you I think would be on floyds fork. Go buy a cheap kayak and looks up parklands for river maps and put in and take outs. Decent small mouth bass and trout in the spring with stickers. Mcneely is close to you but I wouldn't waste my time. I'm sure it has bass but hard to catch there.