Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Very tough weekend on KY Lake

Braved the heat this weekend, and questioned my sanity along the way. Fished Friday, Saturday and 1/2 day Sunday from north to south and only caught 7 fish. fished really slow with jigs and worms, on some of my favorite and usually productive spots and really had nothing going. 6 of the 7 fish I did catch came from about 1' of water with bass chasing fry in the backs of creeks. Really hope the temps come down as I saw 91 degree water and virtually no current. Good luck out there and be safe and courteous to other anglers, its amazing to me how people will pull right up to you and cast right at your boat as if you weren't even there.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Braved the heat this weekend, and questioned my sanity along the way. Fished Friday, Saturday and 1/2 day Sunday from north to south and only caught 7 fish. fished really slow with jigs and worms, on some of my favorite and usually productive spots and really had nothing going. 6 of the 7 fish I did catch came from about 1' of water with bass chasing fry in the backs of creeks. Really hope the temps come down as I saw 91 degree water and virtually no current. Good luck out there and be safe and courteous to other anglers, its amazing to me how people will pull right up to you and cast right at your boat as if you weren't even there.
    If you don't mind me asking. How late in the day were you still catching them so shallow (1')?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    If you don't mind me asking. How late in the day were you still catching them so shallow (1')?
    I was having some action right up until dark but it was still very slow. I focused more on the deep ledges when I should have just stayed shallow the whole time. Pretty much every creek, bay and cut I went into had balls of fry everywhere and fish were busting them all over the place. getting them to hit what I was throwing was a challenge.
    Likes SLP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never fished Ky Lake but man that sounds like prime time top water throwing to me. Give me a spook or spit'n image and show me the way!!! When I was a kid here on Cumberland we used to "chase jumps" or "jumps fish". Doesn't occur as often now as it did then so no longer do it but man what some fun it can be!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    I was having some action right up until dark but it was still very slow. I focused more on the deep ledges when I should have just stayed shallow the whole time. Pretty much every creek, bay and cut I went into had balls of fry everywhere and fish were busting them all over the place. getting them to hit what I was throwing was a challenge.

Thanks,

Do you think that may work in the middle of the afternoon? I'm heading out to Barkley and will be taking my children out some but with scheduling of other things sometimes it's easier to go mid day to late afternoon but with this heat I wonder if they would be in the back of creeks midday?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Thanks,

Do you think that may work in the middle of the afternoon? I'm heading out to Barkley and will be taking my children out some but with scheduling of other things sometimes it's easier to go mid day to late afternoon but with this heat I wonder if they would be in the back of creeks midday?
    I think it probably would work mid-day, they were busting those fry pretty much all day long. Even in the bright high sun. obviously early and late will probably be best, but I did see feeding activity pretty much all day long. topwater and small swimbaits should work.
    Likes SLP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Often times in mid day you can find those super shallow fish set up on any piece of shallow cover they can find. Throwing something like a shakeyhead or ned rig into a stake bed can get you multiple bites if theyre set up