Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cedar Creek

Post Thanks / Like
    Got in an argument there yesterday, I was fishing a spot, no one else around...been there for over an hour catching some good fish...Guy rolls up and 2 other guys in the boat with him, shut down within casting distance of me and then pops up, drops the trolling motor and fires a cast right to the same area I was fishing. So I hauled off and landed my bait right in front of him, probably got him wet from the splash and he proceeds to yell at me for being rude, after explaining to him that rolling up on top of me and then casting at me won't fly we had a little back and forth he finally moves on down the bank a little, after cussing me out for a minute, I bang a 5 pounder right after he left, they all saw it too.....sooo sweet!!!
    Likes GeoFisher, Moveon, BKGOOCH liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RngerMac View Post
    I was fishing Cedar this past weekend. I had found some structure off shore and was in process of fishing. Had been there about 15 minutes and I hear a boat behind me. As I turn around the guy was idling towards me. He came within 10 feet. I just looked at him and held my hands out like asking what he was doing. Then he turned and sped away. What he was doing was marking a way point. I had heard of this happening before but it was the first time it actually happened to me. We sat on the spot for about an hour. He came by three times while we where fishing. Does this happen often to anyone else?

We fished off shore for awhile. Managed to catch some fish from that spot, biggest about 4lbs.
    For everyone that's complaining about their spots , I would like to see your deed that states you own it. The last time I checked it belongs to the public . For those of you who don't like sharing the lake need to go buy your lake and then you'll have the right to run someone off! If you don't own it don't bitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has nothing to do with owning spots. I have never felt as if I owned a spot. I have however and continue to have respect for folks who are fishing areas I like to fish and have enough etiquette not to pull in right on top of them and start fishing. Its something that is lacking on that lake is the point of this thread. I have fished many lakes and not had the problem that you see at Cedar. Being a small lake is simply not a good enough excuse to pull in on someone and start fishing period!!! That's what they will tell you as an excuse, regardless of the reason. It's sheer disrespect and lack of etiquette.
    Likes Moveon, MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joey heller View Post
    For everyone that's complaining about their spots , I would like to see your deed that states you own it. The last time I checked it belongs to the public . For those of you who don't like sharing the lake need to go buy your lake and then you'll have the right to run someone off! If you don't own it don't bitch.
    And they think just like this guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's called fishing etiquette, and it is a long lost art. If I'm on your spot, then so be it......YOU can fish it when I'm done. If I don't leave it, it means I"m having a good day, and you rolling up on me might end that good day.

I don't have a deed for the spot, but I guarantee you that we will have words if you roll up and park within casting distance.......Nothing worse than douchebaggery on the water.

The worse are the sneak attack sum bitches......you know, those who lay down, drop their trolling motor, and won't even acknowledge you're in the vicinity.....they get the 3/4 oz lipless treatment.

I will also tell you this....I've shared many spots with the person who "acts" right. Meaning, laying down, chatting up a little and gauging if I'm wanting company or not. Those people can stay plenty far away and chat me up. In 90% of those cases, I'm gonna say come on in, there's plenty of room.

Like I said, it is an etiquette issue, and there are right and most definitely WRONG ways.........

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Geo said it as I would have. Show respect.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    It's called fishing etiquette, and it is a long lost art. If I'm on your spot, then so be it......YOU can fish it when I'm done. If I don't leave it, it means I"m having a good day, and you rolling up on me might end that good day.

I don't have a deed for the spot, but I guarantee you that we will have words if you roll up and park within casting distance.......Nothing worse than douchebaggery on the water.

The worse are the sneak attack sum bitches......you know, those who lay down, drop their trolling motor, and won't even acknowledge you're in the vicinity.....they get the 3/4 oz lipless treatment.

I will also tell you this....I've shared many spots with the person who "acts" right. Meaning, laying down, chatting up a little and gauging if I'm wanting company or not. Those people can stay plenty far away and chat me up. In 90% of those cases, I'm gonna say come on in, there's plenty of room.

Like I said, it is an etiquette issue, and there are right and most definitely WRONG ways.........
    ================================================== ==================

Showing some respect out on the lake goes a long way to getting along with everyone. Starting up a conversation and asking permission to fish along side someone else is showing repect. If they say no then move along and go fish another spot.

I use to fish a Fish and Wildlife Area that was within about 10 minutes from my house. Back around 2003 when I started fishing there it was trolling motor only and very few if any bigger bass boats fished these old strip pits that were in the Fish and Wildlife Area. There were small john boats and canoes and maybe a kayak or two. But hardly any large bass boats. Then the IDNR F&W people changed the rules and allowed gas motors on the lake. But they had to stay at Idle Speed. But who defines what idle speed it? The IDNR enforces the rules but they can't be there all the time so lots of people ease the throttles forward IMHO.

Then news got out about these pits and everyone started to fish there. Gas prices peaked back around 2007 and many guys were not willing to drive all the way to KY lake every weekend and some started fishing these small strip pits closer to home. About 2015 or 2016 I decided that I had enough of the overcrowding. As some said in this thread there are no secret spots on these lakes. The largest is only 2010 acres and the next largest is about 190 acres and there is a big hill that over looks the second one. The third largest pit is only 90 acres and there is no place to fish this pit that not seen from the shore line somewhere. So if people on the shore see you pulling in fish they will note it and the next time they are there in their boat they will be fishing the spot where you caught fish.

And lets face it. There are only so many good spots on these small pits. They have very few good structure spots to fish where fish actually congregate in mass. Most of the water is devoid of structure or wood. So once you find some submerged wood it's a gold mine for the fish.

These days there are more and more kayakers fishing or playing on these waters. They take forever to launch their Kayaks compared to fishing boats. They take up the ramp for 15 minutes some times. I can launch and park my truck and get the boat off the ramp in less than 3 minutes most days. So I just stopped fishing here. I took up shooting guns instead and am much happier now. The gun range can be crowded too on the week ends but I go during the week days and it's much less crowded. I have to drive 30 minutes to get to the shooting range but it's not that long of a drive so I enjoy the ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rustedhook View Post
    What fun is it if you can't find your own fish. I have said it many a time that some people don't deserve to own a boat.

That's exactly what I said strait to the face of my former fishing buddy... He didn't see anything wrong with copying EVERYTHING of mine that I showed him as far as lures, fishing spots, etc. He even went out and bought the exact same boat I have...LOL. A light bulb went off in my head when we took his boat to Cedar one trip and EVERY single bait he had tied on his 6 rods were baits I taught him about!!! During the couple years I took him to Cedar and Dale, he fished those two lakes 90% of the time. The one or two times he went to Green or Wood Creek instead of the two lakes I taught him (and did horribly), he ended up finishing his trip out back on Dale or Cedar!!!

He even had the audacity to make the asinine comment to me: "It's not worth it to me to go anywhere else and not catch anything". SO IT'S "WORTH IT" TO ME TO SPEND THE TIME/MONEY/SWEAT/EFFORT OUT ON A LAKE FIGURING IT OUT MYSELF AND GIVE IT TO YOU ON A SILVER PLATTER?!?!?!? Heck, he caught his pb largemouth from Cedar and his pb smallie from Dale on the baits I taught him!!!!

I gave him a "fishing challenge" to try and conquer... I told him to pick a lake other than Cedar or Dale and go to that lake and "unlock" it / figure out how to catch fish on that body of water and he could even use all the baits I taught him (but I'd give bonus points if he actually used a bait I didn't teach him about). I haven't heard a peep back from him yet....

Obviously he's not a fishing buddy of mine anymore and I guarantee that his fishing skills have "plateaued" since I've cut him off from giving him any of my success on a silver platter...

Post Thanks / Like
    if imsitting on a spot fishing,its mine.first come first fish,and i wont give it up to some rude a$$ ,
    Likes MagikSmallie, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BKGOOCH View Post
    if imsitting on a spot fishing,its mine.first come first fish,and i wont give it up to some rude a$$ ,
    I guess I came off wrong. I'm just saying there are only so many spots that hold fish and someone shouldn't just come in try to take it. All lakes are getting more and more crowded every day. People just need to learn to get along on the lake.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh, the sweet taste of "in your face"!

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    So I hauled off and landed my bait right in front of him, probably got him wet from the splash and he proceeds to yell at me for being rude, after explaining to him that rolling up on top of me and then casting at me won't fly we had a little back and forth he finally moves on down the bank a little, after cussing me out for a minute, I bang a 5 pounder right after he left, they all saw it too.....sooo sweet!!!