Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Cedar Creek

I was fishing Cedar this past weekend. I had found some structure off shore and was in process of fishing. Had been there about 15 minutes and I hear a boat behind me. As I turn around the guy was idling towards me. He came within 10 feet. I just looked at him and held my hands out like asking what he was doing. Then he turned and sped away. What he was doing was marking a way point. I had heard of this happening before but it was the first time it actually happened to me. We sat on the spot for about an hour. He came by three times while we where fishing. Does this happen often to anyone else?

We fished off shore for awhile. Managed to catch some fish from that spot, biggest about 4lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

too crowded

At least he didn't pull up and start fishing. That has happened to me a number of times on Cedar Creek. Close enough that they cast over my line and got tangled once. Fishing etiquette doesn't apply on that lake apparently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worst lake I have ever fished as far as boater etiquette. I have wanted to fight more times than I can remember there and I am a pretty laid back guy. No respect on that lake. I have had guys pull 10 foot in front of me on the same bank fishing in the same direction more times than I can count. I no longer go unless its winter or very early spring it got so bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive only been once, about three weeks ago. Caught a nice bass offshore and had 4 boats pull up on me and start fishing right where I was. I was the only boat there at the time. I wont be back unless during the week or winter. It doesnt bother me much if they start fishing a general area but to be within casting distance it a bit much. As many boats as I saw I don't see that place being decent for very much longer. But from what ive heard it continues to pump out nice bass. We'll see.
    Last edited by vausoner; 07-18-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    it never ends on ceader creek,iv fished most lakes around here,ala-tenn ga.and iv never seen as much disrespect anywhere else
    Likes MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RngerMac View Post
    I was fishing Cedar this past weekend. I had found some structure off shore and was in process of fishing. Had been there about 15 minutes and I hear a boat behind me. As I turn around the guy was idling towards me. He came within 10 feet. I just looked at him and held my hands out like asking what he was doing. Then he turned and sped away. What he was doing was marking a way point. I had heard of this happening before but it was the first time it actually happened to me. We sat on the spot for about an hour. He came by three times while we where fishing. Does this happen often to anyone else?

We fished off shore for awhile. Managed to catch some fish from that spot, biggest about 4lbs.
    It happens. I remember a guide on the big O in Florida taking us out and we pulled up to a spot and he acted like we were going to start there. But after a few minutes we left. What he was doing he told us, he said down here people would follow the guides and when they left they would pull in and fish. He said if they knew they were being followed they would stop at known mud fish holes.

What fun is it if you can't find your own fish. I have said it many a time that some people don't deserve to own a boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes a bunch of times on Cedar, if your catching fish someone is watching. But the worse one was I had a guy pull right on the spot I was casting to and catching fish and marked it, the worst part was I even new the guy.Then the next few time I was there he had different guys in the boat showing them the spot,well needless to say that spot got fished out of in a hurry.What was the temps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is pretty sad. I know in the past I have seen guys fishing off shore on different lakes and have set my boat down, but a good distance from them. I usually look at my graph or a paper map and try and see what they are fishing, make a note of it and move on. If you do catch them and you know this spot jumping is happening it is best to kneel down and unhook the fish in the water. Swinging a 4 pounder onto the deck then holding up to look at it is probably not the best idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RngerMac View Post

Cedar is a small lake...........there are no secret spots.

He was waiting for you to move off one of HIS favorite spots .

To be honest, one of the reasons I no longer fish locally or any of my favorite 500-600-700 acre lakes is because of the 8 thousand boats on the water. I save most of my dollars, and make longer 4-5 days trips to Barkley and Kentucky. Sure they are crazy busy, but I generally don't have folks that close to me.......if I do, I can go find another spot just like it, and be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    the worst part was I even new the guy.Then the next few time I was there he had different guys in the boat showing them the spot,well needless to say that spot got fished out of in a hurry.

I've had that happen a ton at Cedar. Had guys switch to the exact bait I was throwing too. I called them out and hollered at them every time that "I get 90% credit for any thing you catch here right? Since you came over on top of me and switched your lure to what I was throwing!!!"

Also, had a former fishing buddy that I took to Cedar and Dale and showed him how to fish both lakes and now those are the only lakes he fishes, with only the baits I showed him.... I wouldn't have cared, but he made smarta$$ comments like "why go anywhere else and not catch anything" (basically he couldn't catch fish anywhere else and didn't want to put in the time to figure out a lake himself). He also acted like he "learned" those two lakes by himself to other mutual friends of ours. I sent him this YouTube video and article after I called him out on everything....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-gyoG_7Od8

#2 in the article:

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2...hing-etiquette
    Likes MagikSmallie, Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cedar Creek

From what I'm reading about this Lake it must have few fish in it if everyone wants the same spot. Haven't been and sounds like I'm not missing anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    ITs basically a trophy lake so the chance for a fish of a lifetime is there. That's the draw for most. The fact that it is 15 minutes away from my house used to be my draw. I haven't been on the lake in over a year. Just not worth the headache!!