Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn Creek drum question

My buddies and I like to yak fish Elkhorn Creek a couple times a year. We mostly target smallies with tube jigs, curly tail grubs, and rebel craws. I must say we usually do pretty well and it's always a great time. This year I'd like to switch things up a bit. We always see these monster drum swimming under our kayaks and I would LOVE to hook into some! I know most consider them trash fish but in my opinion nothing but Asian carp are trash. Does anybody here go out and specifically target these guys? And if so, how do you go about it? Any and all advice that could possibly put a big slimey drum on my line is very much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalFish513 View Post
    My buddies and I like to yak fish Elkhorn Creek a couple times a year. We mostly target smallies with tube jigs, curly tail grubs, and rebel craws. I must say we usually do pretty well and it's always a great time. This year I'd like to switch things up a bit. We always see these monster drum swimming under our kayaks and I would LOVE to hook into some! I know most consider them trash fish but in my opinion nothing but Asian carp are trash. Does anybody here go out and specifically target these guys? And if so, how do you go about it? Any and all advice that could possibly put a big slimey drum on my line is very much appreciated! Thanks guys!
    I've never targeted them but every Elkhorn drum I've ever caught has been caught on a jig or soft plastic. But if I was going after them specifically I'd probably try a night crawler first.

Another thing you might consider is to target the big carp that stage in the deeper holes and eddies below rapids. A small wire hook and a couple kernels of niblet corn, fished as slow as possible with as little weight as possible. You have to be really stealthy so not to spook them though. And let them run for a bit before you set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never been on the Elkhorn but specifically target them here on Buck Creek in Pulaski County. They love live crawdads. That's what we use to target those great big ones. They r fun to catch!!! I've put plenty in hot grease as well!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Thank you both. I'm always up for fighting a big carp! I'll definitely give that a shot. I'll also have to bring some live craws with me when we go. Luvtohunt, what does drum taste like? And how do you prepare yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    You want to catch Drum :

use minnows, corn, nightcrawlers, crawdads, or better yet -- greenworms. You can also use small marabou Roadrunners.

And if you don't happen to know what "greenworms" are ... they're like earthworms that you find along the riverbanks, where sand and leaves are embedded in the dirt. You'll know they're there if you see lots of little holes and little dried mud pellets beside the holes (kinda like what you see at the hole of an ant nest, but not piled up). They are greenish in color, and will exude a milky substance when broken or injured or handled ... and it stinks. Best have some disposable gloves on ... or at least some heavy duty soap handy.

I used to use greenworms down at Valley View, on the KY River, and caught Drum more than anything else. I've eaten them, too, and they were "OK" .... nowadays I just throw them back whenever I happen to have one hit my Roadrunner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a real firm fish, stay a little bit softer than most. I roll in seasoned cornmeal just like all the others and fry. I just keep em under 15-16 inches and throw the big ones back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    You want to catch Drum :

use minnows, corn, nightcrawlers, crawdads, or better yet -- greenworms. You can also use small marabou Roadrunners.

And if you don't happen to know what "greenworms" are ... they're like earthworms that you find along the riverbanks, where sand and leaves are embedded in the dirt. You'll know they're there if you see lots of little holes and little dried mud pellets beside the holes (kinda like what you see at the hole of an ant nest, but not piled up). They are greenish in color, and will exude a milky substance when broken or injured or handled ... and it stinks. Best have some disposable gloves on ... or at least some heavy duty soap handy.

I used to use greenworms down at Valley View, on the KY River, and caught Drum more than anything else. I've eaten them, too, and they were "OK" .... nowadays I just throw them back whenever I happen to have one hit my Roadrunner.
    All the places I used to find greenworms I can't find them any more.