Search Fishin.com

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Fishing GRASS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Albany, Indiana.
    Posts
    7,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Fishing GRASS

    If you just want to get out and have a good time............Man, DOGWOOD Lake in Washington County is pretty **** fun.

    While I didn't catch any monsters, a couple buddies and I went Sunday and BLASTED the fish on grass frogs and soft plastic.

    We had 68 for half a day. 6 of those were keepers.

    Later,

    Geo
    Likes Bandit1, Moveon liked this post

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard of the lake but that's about all. Is it like John hay and Delaney where it's trolling motor only? Or is it big enough to start big motor?

    Thank you,

    Jason
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Albany, Indiana.
    Posts
    7,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
    I've heard of the lake but that's about all. Is it like John hay and Delaney where it's trolling motor only? Or is it big enough to start big motor?

    Thank you,

    Jason
    It used to have a 10hp limit, but now it is unlimited motor but 10mph. Lots of folks buzz around the lake faster than that, but do that at your OWN RISK.

    The lake is full of standing trees, and you really better know the lake, or you will damage your boat. There is a channel that runs to the back of the lake, and if you stay in that channel, you generally can be OK.

    Even staying in the channel, you will hit stumps and standing trees.

    If you go, be careful.

    BUT it is a fun place.........I've fished it for 30 years.
    Likes Bandit1 liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Geo. I may have to give it a try sometime soon.

    Jason
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .
    Posts
    3,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    sluggos

    Grass and timber is slugo territory
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    I fished Dogwood lake one time and got a few bass

    I fished it from the shoreline. If the lake is not too big then they should limit the speed of gas engines to idle speed only and enforce it. We have some small strip pit lakes that the IDNR purchased from AMAX or Someone else and turned these 26 different strip pits into a fish and wildlife area called Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife Area. And they use to be trolling motor only and it was really nice and quit out on the lakes. The lakes were not full of people and boats each and every day back then. Now that IDNR FWD has allowed boats with gas motors the have an idle only speed limit. I guess they enforce this but still there are people that speed too fast in their gas motored boats. But it's the rule so I go slow myself when I'm fishing the bigger strip pits in this fish and wildlife area.

    The guy who runs the Fish and Wildlife Division at the INDR use to be the property manager of Glendale and dogwood lake so he's familiar with this area. He's the director of the Fish and Wildlife Division these days. I should have gone up there after college and fished but back then it was trolling motor only or you had to have a motor less than or equal to 10 HP. And for that reason I didn't go to that lake. I have a 35 HP gas motor on my boat. I could not fish Hovey's lake either because of the 10 HP limit back in the 1970/80's.

    Good to see you out fishing and having some fun Geo. Good post.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Albany, Indiana.
    Posts
    7,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I fished it from the shoreline. If the lake is not too big then they should limit the speed of gas engines to idle speed only and enforce it. We have some small strip pit lakes that the IDNR purchased from AMAX or Someone else and turned these 26 different strip pits into a fish and wildlife area called Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife Area. And they use to be trolling motor only and it was really nice and quit out on the lakes. The lakes were not full of people and boats each and every day back then. Now that IDNR FWD has allowed boats with gas motors the have an idle only speed limit. I guess they enforce this but still there are people that speed too fast in their gas motored boats. But it's the rule so I go slow myself when I'm fishing the bigger strip pits in this fish and wildlife area.

    The guy who runs the Fish and Wildlife Division at the INDR use to be the property manager of Glendale and dogwood lake so he's familiar with this area. He's the director of the Fish and Wildlife Division these days. I should have gone up there after college and fished but back then it was trolling motor only or you had to have a motor less than or equal to 10 HP. And for that reason I didn't go to that lake. I have a 35 HP gas motor on my boat. I could not fish Hovey's lake either because of the 10 HP limit back in the 1970/80's.

    Good to see you out fishing and having some fun Geo. Good post.
    Anyone who wants to go faster than a few mph is risking serious DAMAGE on Dogwood. IT is loaded and I mean LOADED with standing timber, and there are about 8 billion trees and stumps just under the surface.

    I hit at least 10 this past Saturday.

    On another note, I have a real good story about the 10hp limit of years ago........basically I almost lost my boat, ttruck and motor, for arguing with the DNR about how I didn't know my evenrude 9.9 was really evenrude 15 with a 9.9 cover . Wink Wink.

    He basically told me if I ever showed up to that lake again with that 15hp motor, he'd take my boat, truck and motor......AND all my fishing equipment.

    I promptly went out and purchased a 7.5 motor, which I used for about 10 years after that.



    Later,

    Geo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Linton, Indiana.[Greene co]
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Anyone who wants to go faster than a few mph is risking serious DAMAGE on Dogwood. IT is loaded and I mean LOADED with standing timber, and there are about 8 billion trees and stumps just under the surface.

    I hit at least 10 this past Saturday.

    On another note, I have a real good story about the 10hp limit of years ago........basically I almost lost my boat, ttruck and motor, for arguing with the DNR about how I didn't know my evenrude 9.9 was really evenrude 15 with a 9.9 cover . Wink Wink.

    He basically told me if I ever showed up to that lake again with that 15hp motor, he'd take my boat, truck and motor......AND all my fishing equipment.

    I promptly went out and purchased a 7.5 motor, which I used for about 10 years after that.



    Later,

    Geo
    Alot guys did the same thingback then. There are a few i know still do it 10hp lakes
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Albany, Indiana.
    Posts
    7,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Alot guys did the same thingback then. There are a few i know still do it 10hp lakes
    I still have that 9.9 cover for anyone who wants it........100 bucks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Glad you told that story

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Anyone who wants to go faster than a few mph is risking serious DAMAGE on Dogwood. IT is loaded and I mean LOADED with standing timber, and there are about 8 billion trees and stumps just under the surface.

    I hit at least 10 this past Saturday.

    On another note, I have a real good story about the 10hp limit of years ago........basically I almost lost my boat, ttruck and motor, for arguing with the DNR about how I didn't know my evenrude 9.9 was really evenrude 15 with a 9.9 cover . Wink Wink.

    He basically told me if I ever showed up to that lake again with that 15hp motor, he'd take my boat, truck and motor......AND all my fishing equipment.

    I promptly went out and purchased a 7.5 motor, which I used for about 10 years after that.



    Later,

    Geo
    Years ago when Hovey Lake had the 10 HP motor size limit I gave thought to painting the engine cover to say 10 HP instead of 35HP. But that plan died almost immediately as I'm not a good artist. LOL. But the thought did cross my mind a couple of times. So I was glad that the IDNR finally changed the rules and allowed people with gas motors of any size to fish Hovey's and other lakes in IN as long as they were going slower than the speed limits. It was said to me that it was much easier to enforce the motor size limit that the speed limits. And that I can agree with from the CO side of this discussion. I bet that the lake was much less utilized before they changed the rules. Most of the guys that I know that have boats have larger motors on them. A few have trolling motors on small john boats.

    I wish that I could have purchased a smaller motor for my boat but I didn't really have a place to mount it as my boat was pretty smaller and narrow. Plus I only fished hard about two or three weeks a year. The rest of the time the boat was not used and covered up. But as I got older and moved closer to where I fish these days I started using the boat a lot.

Similar Threads

  1. fishing grass mats
    By kstonich in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 08:19 AM
  2. Article: What Makes Productive Grass Fishing
    By Mike Gerry in forum Guide Reports and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 07:15 AM
  3. Yesterday I could cut grass or go fishing
    By Moveon in forum Indiana Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 07:20 AM
  4. ledge fishing and grass question?
    By slowride in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
  5. Anyone crappie fishing at Blue Grass?
    By RVogler in forum Indiana Discussion Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •