Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ky Lake early October

My wife and I will be fishing Ky Lake in early October. We have only been there once before and the wind was up so we never left the Ky Dam Village area. I would welcome any tips or suggestions.
    Thanks BB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbass View Post
    My wife and I will be fishing Ky Lake in early October. We have only been there once before and the wind was up so we never left the Ky Dam Village area. I would welcome any tips or suggestions.
    Thanks BB
    It all depends on how the temps are that time of year. We usually get fish moving in shallow by then , following baitfish.

If the bait is back in the bays, it can be a fun , fun time of the year for a lot of fish. I don't usually catch a lot of size, but can regularly catch 40-50 fish a day that time of year.

Early October is a little early though. I usually do much better mid/late october in the fall.

If we get some cooler than normal days in sept that will help it a whole lot.
    Likes gofishdave liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks BB
    I will also say, Dave Stewart's reports are one of the best resources about KY lake and Barkley lake you can find. I've been using his reports, and his guide services for a while.

One thing to remember is that the lakes can be deadly, and you did right by not leaving the area if you're not familiar with the lakes.

If wind is too bad, you can always drive down the trace and put in at other ramps. Smith and Sugar are good ramps, but the gravel roads are brutal.

I can generally get out in my 19ft tin boat in winds upwards of 10-15mph as long as they are not straight up or straight down the lake. If they ARE........hang it up and just use the LBL ramps.

Man, I hope you stick some fish.

I might have an idea late september, as I'm not getting very many October trips this year, so I will try last two weeks of sept and maybe 4 weeks in nov and december.

Later,

geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Geo.

Post Thanks / Like
    agree GEO if the winds are bad on Kentucky you can put on the north end of Barkley sometimes. Be careful as the lakes will be drawn down at this time stay in the channel markers and idle into the bay especially on Barkley. This is transition time and like GEO said find the shad the fish will be there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks BB
    Early October can be surface bait fishing all day on the right days. Some times main lake flats can be better than back in the bays...
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like Bear Creek on windy days

I put in in Bear Creek and it kinda fishes like a smaller lake. When it is too windy to get out on the main lake I can usually find a pattern and stay back in the creek. I am sure Jonathan Creek and other areas are similar, but I have stayed in Bear long enough I feel confident I can catch fish. We went out the first week of October a few years back and there were so many tournaments going in we decided to stay in the creek and caught enough weight we would have been in the top 10 of the FLW tournament. All on top water and squarebills.
    Good luck! I will be there then too. I will likely not be sending reports until after my trip as we are tournament fishing this year.
    RJP
    Likes jkelley1487 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys
    This helps a bunch