Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

rewritting history

This crap about removing statues is just that CRAP. Lee was a general, doing what generals do. Stonewall Jackson was the same thing, they took an oath to the confederacy, and followed it. End of story. Slavery was a part of the civil war, so was states rights. You can re write history, but you can't change or ignore the facts. What ever happened anywhere there is quite possibly a record of it, and an open mind can find it. It is a fact that the victors write history, but as we all know, for every action there is a yada yada yada. The fuzzy headed liberal thinking on statues, is just as bad as conservative thinking on individuals freedom. The first time I visited shiloh, I was struck by the simple fact, that homo sapiens are not as fit as they think they are to rule a planet. I have visited gettysburg, and have been to stone mountain. You might erase the history, but those physical places will still be there. AND NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET. Looks like rudyard hit the nail on the head, but I doubted he thought about american politics. Do you think I'm wrong about that statement? We'd still be in the same political stalemate if clinton had won the the election. The two party system used to work, slowly, and not always right, and then someone came up with the Tparty. That well heeled minority,backed by a few wealthy people, is the wedge, that drove us apart. This is humpty ville, and you know how that ends.
    Likes GeoFisher, zx150 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They are already wanting to tear down monuments to Washington and Jefferson.

Where will it end.

I will tell you this........I wonder when Mark Twain will be ERASED from our history. He was a horrible racist.
    Likes zx150 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My early schooling

My father went out for a pack of smokes, I barely remembered him. We were forced to find lodging, and my mother had a freiend who lived with this guy, he took us in. In second grade my brother and I were just 2 of four white kids in an all black school. We lived in one room next to the EL tracks in down town chicago. That didn't last long, before her father reconsidered and let us move back home. then the war started.My mother went to work at a defense plant, and soon she was making more money than her father.My elementary school was all white, high school was totaly integrated. the mills where I worked were the same. The army was integrated, so I have no problems with black people. But I am descriminate. And I've seen discrination, it existed then, and does today.It's part of human nature, we are born color blind, and go from there.Yes I admit to being prejudice, I can't stand these illegal aliens who never came here legely, deport ALL of them.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI

You guys don't remember, and some of yoy are not old enough to remember. BUT We raised our riht arms, thumbs along side the hand, and gave the pledge of allegiance. And thiis was in apublic school. By the way if I remember right, it didn't include "under god" in it.I forgot that we pointed at the flag that 13 stripes and 48 stars.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In an article I recently read I came across an interesting quote from Robert E. Lee regarding erecting statues to them. He apparently had some great wisdom and insight on the foreseeable issues these may cause in the nations ability to heal itself.

In an Aug. 5, 1869, response to an invite to a sit-down to plan granite statues to memorialize one of the war’s bloodiest battles, the general panned the whole idea and told the group he wouldn’t even show up.

“My engagements will not permit me to be present, & I believe if there I could not add anything material to the information existing on the subject,” wrote Lee, a Virginian

“I think it wiser moreover not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife & to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered.”

The invitation came from the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association “to attend a meeting of the officers engaged in that battle at Gettysburg, for the purpose of marking upon the ground by enduring memorials of granite the position & movements of the Armies on the field,” according to Lee’s letter.

Post Thanks / Like

Gettysburgh was Lee's Waterloo

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    In an article I recently read I came across an interesting quote from Robert E. Lee regarding erec ting statues to them. He apparently had some great wisdom and insight on the foreseeable issues these may cause in the nations ability to heal itself.
    I doubt that Robert E. Lee had any interest in going back to Gettysburg after what happened to his army when Pickett Charged the center of the Federal Line and lost his division in that battle. That was the end of the war for the South. It was all downhill from there. And I bet that he regretted sending all those men to their deaths across the field that sad day in American History.

When I was young my best friend was a True Rebel and loved Robert E. Lee. He supported the South and ended up going to Tennessee University.

My father was a High School History teacher and he took me to Gettysburg when I was around 8 or 9 years old. He took lots of photographs as he was his college photographer and was good at that sort of thing. All were koda color slides and I still have all of them at my parents house.

I stood up on Little Round Top and Big Round Top and saw the Devils Den and the Wheat Field and the Orchard. The sunken road and all the other battle grounds. I stood their and tried to image the scene the next day. All that blood and dead men. It must have been an awful sight. I would think that anyone who fought in the battle would not want to go back and see the battle ground again. I loved it when my HS history class got to the Civil War and the WWII or the Revolutionary wars. The wars are part of our past and like you said that can't be changed. What happened is what happened and we can't rewrite history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I doubt that Robert E. Lee had any interest in going back to Gettysburg after what happened to his army when Pickett Charged the center of the Federal Line and lost his division in that battle. That was the end of the war for the South. It was all downhill from there. And I bet that he regretted sending all those men to their deaths across the field that sad day in American History.

When I was young my best friend was a True Rebel and loved Robert E. Lee. He supported the South and ended up going to Tennessee University.

My father was a High School History teacher and he took me to Gettysburg when I was around 8 or 9 years old. He took lots of photographs as he was his college photographer and was good at that sort of thing. All were koda color slides and I still have all of them at my parents house.

I stood up on Little Round Top and Big Round Top and saw the Devils Den and the Wheat Field and the Orchard. The sunken road and all the other battle grounds. I stood their and tried to image the scene the next day. All that blood and dead men. It must have been an awful sight. I would think that anyone who fought in the battle would not want to go back and see the battle ground again. I loved it when my HS history class got to the Civil War and the WWII or the Revolutionary wars. The wars are part of our past and like you said that can't be changed. What happened is what happened and we can't rewrite history.
    That's true but the part of the quote that I highlighted, and the point he made at the time was what I felt was interesting and relevant to the discussion.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    That's true but the part of the quote that I highlighted, and the point he made at the time was what I felt was interesting and relevant to the discussion.
    Leftists pick and choose what they want to here......EVEN when you point it out.
    Likes SLP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What do you as a conservative WANT

You are sounding more and more like a person who would like to eliminate ALL dissent. Do you believe ONE news source is adequate, and totally believable? How about one party government, works quite well in a few countries. Taxes, do we really need them. One of the greatest benefits of one party rule, is less government in some cases. Think of all the wasted money and time spent on electionering, the party picks the candidate, and you get to vote for who ever it is. In most cases the results are over 99%. I don't believe in Utopia, I still have a choice in how I pray to the one god, although that is being put under scrutiny.To me it sounds like the conservative agenda is this. More restrictions on the less fortunate, suspend usery rules, and do away with 2/3 of consumer credit, and restrict the rights to legal recourse in cases that are annoying. I could live with that, all of it, but I don't have that long to live.Please tell me GEO what do you guys think is best for what used to be called the land of the free and home of the brave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    You are sounding more and more like a person who would like to eliminate ALL dissent. Do you believe ONE news source is adequate, and totally believable? How about one party government, works quite well in a few countries. Taxes, do we really need them. One of the greatest benefits of one party rule, is less government in some cases. Think of all the wasted money and time spent on electionering, the party picks the candidate, and you get to vote for who ever it is. In most cases the results are over 99%. I don't believe in Utopia, I still have a choice in how I pray to the one god, although that is being put under scrutiny.To me it sounds like the conservative agenda is this. More restrictions on the less fortunate, suspend usery rules, and do away with 2/3 of consumer credit, and restrict the rights to legal recourse in cases that are annoying. I could live with that, all of it, but I don't have that long to live.Please tell me GEO what do you guys think is best for what used to be called the land of the free and home of the brave.
    Man that rant came out of "left" field.

But seriously, what does any of that have to do with the topic of discussion in this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

leftest see only

It was said leftests see only what they want to see. Well I read all the posts on this thread, and again, there are two valid points, if I can see them, am i a leftest or or a right winger? Or maybe open minded.Does the phrase " I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say them" Must have been some liberal wacko.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Was it a rant?

Or was a simple question, after the question I submitted my personal opinion.I am entitled to that yet.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post