Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Herrington Lake Hybrid Trolling

I just purchased a pontoon on Herrington. I would love to get into trolling for hybrids but I haven't had any luck so far. Question is when, where, and what lure to use for hybrid trolling. Thanks!!
    Likes BKGOOCH liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the Hybrid catching I know about on Herrington is done with a Kastmaster ... casting them out, letting them sink to bottom, then burning them back. This is usually done with two rods, casting one while the other sinks and letting that one sink while burning the other one back in ... then cast that one back out and start burning the other one back in. Now, that was a long time ago, so I don't know if that's still being used.

I always caught mine at Taylorsville ... by trolling a Hot-n-tot with a 2ft leader & marabou jig tied to the front hook eye of the crankbait. The only time I've caught Hybrids at Herrington was at night, under the big halogen dock lights, casting a Silver Buddy thru the lighted water (June/July).

I would think the #1 factor in catching Hybrids at Herrington would be "finding them" ... and that would require good electronics and/or a whole lot of time on the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Troll creek mouths near the dam and creek mouth past mile stretch. Should also get them in the jumps soon as well.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishincreek View Post
    Troll creek mouths near the dam and creek mouth past mile stretch. Should also get them in the jumps soon as well.
    That is where I would start. Been a few years since I've trolled at Herrington. When I did, I started by the dam at first light and worked up stream from the dam. Watch your fish finder for bait balls and put your lures through those. Generally, 12 to 20 feet deep is where you'll have your baits. Did well there with bucktail jigs and twister tail trailers. Deep running cranks that look like shad can also be effective as can rattle trap type plugs. Always have at least one rod ready to throw at jumps. white rooster tail (1/16 oz, white) with a launcher 18 to 24 inches above it for weight to throw was usually pretty effective for white bass and hybrids on Herrington. Kast masters too.