Search Fishin.com

Thread: barkley/ky lake

Post Thanks / Like

barkley/ky lake

anyone having any luck at Barkley are KY lake what a good bait to use this time of year and what color working best this time of year

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billy52 View Post
    anyone having any luck at Barkley are KY lake what a good bait to use this time of year and what color working best this time of year
    The Fishing is tough like most everyone is saying. We were able to grind out a few fish over the past weekend, but it was a HARD GRIND.

We found one spot on north Barkley that gave up most of our fish over the weekend. We were able to find some balls of bait in some bays, but it was very inconsistent. I have heard that there are some balls of bait that are back and we did find bait shallow, just not many ( NONE really) fish on them.

Friday:

I was by myself on South Barkley during the morning. Way, Way south, close to Tennessee line. I had 2 serious smallmouth that came unbuttoned on a swimbait, and had 2 on a red eye shad. Had 4 other bites, and that was it. ended up with 3 fish caught and should have caught those two smallies, but didn't.

Friday Afternoon:

Met a guy from the board here (DD), and headed to our cabin, and then went out to KY lake and put in at Smith Bay. We fished HARD..........Fished Rhodes, Sugar and Smith. I think we may have caught 6 or so, but not many. Had a good smallie probably 3lbs in Smith Bay. DD caught that nice smallie .

Fished till dark...........didn't have much action at all at dark. No topwater, no red eye, nothin..........

Saturday:

Put in at Sugar Bay, fished first light bite shallow.........Don't believe we caught more than 1 or 2. Ran to Rhodes, caught 3 on top with 2 being smallies. Caught a couple more, but nothing serious.

Went to Higgins, and found a TON of bait, and threw jigging spoons on that bait, looking for bass under. Didn't find any but did catch about 20 or so white and yellow bass. Fun , but not what we were targeting. DD again caught most the bass, but I caught a ton of the whites and yellows....... I will take it .

Hotter than TAR, so we pulled off the lake, had lunch headed to cabin, took a nap.......Yea, I'm a lightweight .

Went back out Saturday afternoon to North Barkley, putting in at Nichol Branch Ramp. Cool ramp, you could smell the folks smoking some "good stuff" in the campground .

Found some smallies in deep water, and stayed there for a few passes. DD, waxed me on a jig. I think his was smaller and fell slower. the fish were hitting it on the fall off of a ledge, and BOOM. He caught 7 smallies, and I don't believe I caught a single one. I'm also not sure I had a bite.

Pulled off that spot and fished some other north ledges and caught a few on jigs............Probably had 10 or 12 for the day. Most of those were smallmouth, which was quite interesting.

Sunday:

With Sunday being a short day, we put in before first light on Barkley up North. We ran to our first spot ( which was our last spot on Saturday).

And being a mule head only lasts a few hours with me. I immediately tied on a smaller , more compact jig when we started on Sunday.....I wanted to be in the game. .

On that spot, we immediately caught a few smallmouth. We ended up fishing 4-5 spots within a mile area that produced some good smallmouth action. We didn't catch many keepers, but it was fun actually boating fish. We caught 15 smallies and probably 5-6 largemouth before 10:00am.

At around 10:00am we ran to check some shallow spots, before calling it a day.......

All told, it was an OK trip and about what I expected.

I'm done until Mid October. Hopefully, I can get on some good fall transition then.......

Have fun guys........

And no matter what, a day fishin is better than a day working anyday.
    Likes Tyme2fish, GreenGhostMan, Wormin, DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you a doper Geo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NKYFISHING View Post
    Are you a doper Geo?
    of course not..........it was potent smelling stuff, so I assumed it was good. It could have been horrible crap, who knows.