Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tennessee and Trout Fishing

i spent the weekend in eastern Tennessee and I had forgotten at how beautiful it is there. I don't fish for trout often but I think it's time to get into fly fishing. I watched people fishing this way and watched trout feeding against the back drop of some spectacular scenery. I will be back there later this year with fly tackle to target the trout.
    Likes GeoFisher, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    i spent the weekend in eastern Tennessee and I had forgotten at how beautiful it is there. I don't fish for trout often but I think it's time to get into fly fishing. I watched people fishing this way and watched trout feeding against the back drop of some spectacular scenery. I will be back there later this year with fly tackle to target the trout.
    My wife and I drove down to gatlinburg Tn this past Tuesday, and went on up to the top of the Smokey mountains, it really is some beautiful scenery, and durning the week the traffic isn't bad. I to like the rocky streams, coming back we got off I-75 and followed old 25 back north, it has lots of curves, but such a pretty drive, about 20 miles of the drive before we got to Jellico Tn, the road followed the river, lots of shallow rocky water and deep pools, looks like some good wade fishing, I've never fished this creek/river before, don't know the name of it, it's close to Jellico Tn, so it may be Jellico creek, maybe someone reading this has fished this area before and will chime in and share some fishing info on this area, Tn has some good smallmouth fishing and this creek/river sure looks good.
    Likes DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    will you people be quiet?
    there's too many foreigners here already.
    Likes waterdog101, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    will you people be quiet?
    there's too many foreigners here already.
    Hahahaha it sure is pretty down there. I was at Watauga river and the lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    My wife and I drove down to gatlinburg Tn this past Tuesday, and went on up to the top of the Smokey mountains, it really is some beautiful scenery, and durning the week the traffic isn't bad. I to like the rocky streams, coming back we got off I-75 and followed old 25 back north, it has lots of curves, but such a pretty drive, about 20 miles of the drive before we got to Jellico Tn, the road followed the river, lots of shallow rocky water and deep pools, looks like some good wade fishing, I've never fished this creek/river before, don't know the name of it, it's close to Jellico Tn, so it may be Jellico creek, maybe someone reading this has fished this area before and will chime in and share some fishing info on this area, Tn has some good smallmouth fishing and this creek/river sure looks good.
    I came back on 25E up through Morristown and Tazwell. I swaer i can't think of a recent time driving that I wasn't in awe of the scenery. Any drive through the Smokies can give you the same feel. So beautiful over there.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    i love my hometown dearly. if i can't see a mountain, i feel naked.
    however, the greedy developers have lured all the retired yanks here now. the yanks know everything and we natives are ignorant. they talk excessively loud in restaurants, dress like a saturday evening walmart drunk(dirty joggin shorts, too small tank top with beer gut hanging out, krocs with socks, tattoos, nose rings), and the women are the ugliest i've ever seen. i cringe at the idea of going to town now. and the traffic...i had to sit through 3 red light changes to get through 1 intersection. they have raped the hometown i love to the point i'm considering leaving.
    this was paradise until the foreigners moved in. and if you want to go trout fishing, you'll have to deal with the snobby yank experts there too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    i love my hometown dearly. if i can't see a mountain, i feel naked.
    however, the greedy developers have lured all the retired yanks here now. the yanks know everything and we natives are ignorant. they talk excessively loud in restaurants, dress like a saturday evening walmart drunk(dirty joggin shorts, too small tank top with beer gut hanging out, krocs with socks, tattoos, nose rings), and the women are the ugliest i've ever seen. i cringe at the idea of going to town now. and the traffic...i had to sit through 3 red light changes to get through 1 intersection. they have raped the hometown i love to the point i'm considering leaving.
    this was paradise until the foreigners moved in. and if you want to go trout fishing, you'll have to deal with the snobby yank experts there too.
    dragmerc, I think you consider anyone outside your area code a foreigner, I understand what your saying though, my wife and I took a drive back through where we grew up and used to hang out and it's like another world, it would be nice if we could visit places of our youth and they hadn't changed, but with a world population of 7 billion, everything has to change, all those souls have to live somewhere, i'm not saying your not nice to strangers, but reading your post describing the yanks, i did laugh, but you were pretty negative, and it reminded me of something I read in the bible about strangers, Hebrews 13:2 says be not forgetful to entertain strangers; for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Post Thanks / Like
    being too nice is our problem. we were raised to be nice to everybody. the yanks come in and run over us. why can't people visit and go back home?
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

dj

Yes there are some pretty trout streams in Tn.But you live closer to some of the best in the in the country here in Ky.Plus you wont need to spend an arm and leg for tjhe license and stamps needed, and the lodging is pretty fair.The cumberland river is hard to beat.And now you have variety with the stoking of brook trout. I fished smokey mtn park twice, and wasn't that impressed. The easy spots to get to were crowded, and the catch and release sites were also well polulated, plus I had the misfortune of getting a ranger with a bad hair day. The several flys in brought with me didn't quite meet his expectatations. My flys were barbed with barb squeezed shut. This guy inspected me for scent[not BO], and then wanted to see my fly box.I guess I disappointed him when I said I'm using legal tackle, and don't intend to break the law. But on cumberland there not that many restrictions. The biggest is finding wadable water. The best time is fall when the river is a little lowrer and clerar of most leaves. I didn't need a guide, had my own boat, and could wade if I wanted too.But there are some good fly fishing guides available.While I'm a fair fly caster, I choose light spinning tackle.10lb test spidr wire and a six ft fluoro leader and you can have a ball. I've had days when 20 fish were common. The trout can be huge. I also steelheaded in western micigan, and that was a differnt type of fishing, thats what we called the "frozen snot" season. When the corp decided to repair wolfe creek dam, they screwed the last good fishing days I had left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Yes there are some pretty trout streams in Tn.But you live closer to some of the best in the in the country here in Ky.Plus you wont need to spend an arm and leg for tjhe license and stamps needed, and the lodging is pretty fair.The cumberland river is hard to beat.And now you have variety with the stoking of brook trout. I fished smokey mtn park twice, and wasn't that impressed. The easy spots to get to were crowded, and the catch and release sites were also well polulated, plus I had the misfortune of getting a ranger with a bad hair day. The several flys in brought with me didn't quite meet his expectatations. My flys were barbed with barb squeezed shut. This guy inspected me for scent[not BO], and then wanted to see my fly box.I guess I disappointed him when I said I'm using legal tackle, and don't intend to break the law. But on cumberland there not that many restrictions. The biggest is finding wadable water. The best time is fall when the river is a little lowrer and clerar of most leaves. I didn't need a guide, had my own boat, and could wade if I wanted too.But there are some good fly fishing guides available.While I'm a fair fly caster, I choose light spinning tackle.10lb test spidr wire and a six ft fluoro leader and you can have a ball. I've had days when 20 fish were common. The trout can be huge. I also steelheaded in western micigan, and that was a differnt type of fishing, thats what we called the "frozen snot" season. When the corp decided to repair wolfe creek dam, they screwed the last good fishing days I had left.
    I have been down there and fished a few times for trout with spinning tackle in the Spring and loved it. I just ordered a beginner fly fishing outfit so I will be fly fishing soon. We have a lake here that has areas I can cast for panfish and maybe bass until I can get to some trout water again.
    Some of our local streams are full of smallmouth so i will be doing that as well. I am looking forward to this!!
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I have been down there and fished a few times for trout with spinning tackle in the Spring and loved it. I just ordered a beginner fly fishing outfit so I will be fly fishing soon. We have a lake here that has areas I can cast for panfish and maybe bass until I can get to some trout water again.
    Some of our local streams are full of smallmouth so i will be doing that as well. I am looking forward to this!!
    I love to wade fish, but some of the good wade fishing around this area, is to dangerous to fish this time of year, the camouflage farmers don't have there crops all gathered yet, you guys be careful fishing off the beaten path, it really can be dangerous.
    Likes GeoFisher, DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I love to wade fish, but some of the good wade fishing around this area, is to dangerous to fish this time of year, the camouflage farmers don't have there crops all gathered yet, you guys be careful fishing off the beaten path, it really can be dangerous.
    hmmm...do you remember Deliverance?
    maybe that'll keep em away...lol.