Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should Trump Be Involved In The NFL Anthem Controversy

Yes because it is always the President's job to defend our country, it's legal citizens and any sacred symbols thereof including the flag and the national anthem. While what the NFL players are doing is legal at the same time it is morally wrong....IMHO.
    Likes roadrunner, DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a tough one for me because I hate how these players are politicizing the game and think the NFL and it's owners have handled it horribly by not requiring their "employees" who represent them to conduct themselves to a higher standard. Worse yet then doubled down be going as far as supporting them

That said I don't agree with how Trump has handled it. First of all I don't like that he curses when trying to make the point. Shame on him for degrading the office with purposely using foul language when addressing the issue.

I also think that a president should always try to pull the country together when possible instead of further aggravate a situation that pulls it apart. This is similar to what Obama too often did at times but just the other side of the same coin.

Lastly the very essence of what the flag stands for is the peoples rights, and while I couldn't disagree any stronger with the players choosing to do this, the president of the country shouldn't curse out and vilify a citizen excising the very rights that flag protects and that men have died to protect those very rights. He could have instead made a strong statement of why he disagrees with them but acknowledges that the flag stand for all of our rights, even those in the minority of a particular point of view and not just just the views of the greater numbers. Basically a president should be the bigger man and lead by a better example.

But again the real issue I have is with the NFL and it's owners. They could have handled this much better and now it has just snowballed as a result of they not not doing so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and more specific to your points. Defending it against what? It wasn't under attack, just disrespected by some athletes not standing during the anthem. They have no power to harm the flag. Acting like they can do it harm just diminishes the flag and what the greatness it stands for. We are a lot stronger than that.

Also as far as morally wrong, that is a grey area because of ones perspective and opinion. They would argue they were doing the moral thing making their point. I don't agree with them but you can't "prove" they are wrong. Some see it one way some another.

Basically I believe it's much more effective for those that disagree with the protesters to lead by example and take the high road. Yelling, screaming, and cursing at them just empowers them while weakening the arguments against them. Lead with strength and conviction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    This is a tough one for me because I hate how these players are politicizing the game and think the NFL and it's owners have handled it horribly by not requiring their "employees" who represent them to conduct themselves to a higher standard. Worse yet then doubled down be going as far as supporting them

That said I don't agree with how Trump has handled it. First of all I don't like that he curses when trying to make the point. Shame on him for degrading the office with purposely using foul language when addressing the issue.

I also think that a president should always try to pull the country together when possible instead of further aggravate a situation that pulls it apart. This is similar to what Obama too often did at times but just the other side of the same coin.

Lastly the very essence of what the flag stands for is the peoples rights, and while I couldn't disagree any stronger with the players choosing to do this, the president of the country shouldn't curse out and vilify a citizen excising the very rights that flag protects and that men have died to protect those very rights. He could have instead made a strong statement of why he disagrees with them but acknowledges that the flag stand for all of our rights, even those in the minority of a particular point of view and not just just the views of the greater numbers. Basically a president should be the bigger man and lead by a better example.

But again the real issue I have is with the NFL and it's owners. They could have handled this much better and now it has just snowballed as a result of they not not doing so.
    I was pissed when Obama got involved in **** he should not be involved in.........aka beer summit.

I'm equally pissed about Trump and his involvement here. I agree more with the ideological slant with regards to the flag and anthem, but I don't believe Trump should be bitching as much as he is..

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and more specific to your points. Defending it against what? It wasn't under attack, just disrespected by some athletes not standing during the anthem. They have no power to harm the flag. Acting like they can do it harm just diminishes the flag and what the greatness it stands for. We are a lot stronger than that.

Also as far as morally wrong, that is a grey area because of ones perspective and opinion. They would argue they were doing the moral thing making their point. I don't agree with them but you can't "prove" they are wrong. Some see it one way some another.

Basically I believe it's much more effective for those that disagree with the protesters to lead by example and take the high road. Yelling, screaming, and cursing at them just empowers them while weakening the arguments against them. Lead with strength and conviction.
    the biggest level of disrespect is kneeling for America while standing for the national anthem in Great Britain. These FOOLS have no idea about anything.....they are just stupid jocks.......
    Likes DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

respect

I have seen folks keep their hats on, text and talk while the anthem is playing. It's a flag, it's symbol of our freedom. I stand at attention, sometimes I sing and sometimes I don't.I fly mine on holidays, yet I'm in the minority Don't make bid issue of it. I served 3 years under it.

Post Thanks / Like
    NFL should not allow this I know you say it's their freedom of speech however I disagree they are not allowed to use any thing that resembles celebration after a touch down because it will offend people------well this offends me.

In baseball your socks can only be so high your uniform has to match all others you have to have your shirt tucked in you can't argue balls and strikes etc etc etc

They could have a rule you can kneel until they play the national anthem then you will stand face the flag place your hand over your heart and show respect for all those who have served and are now serving to defend your freedoms that allow you to make millions of dollars playing a game.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just a Game

Why isn't anyon e complaining about a bout the amount of commercials that make an hour and a half a three hour ordeal??? WHO cares I don't, I cant even afford a cheap seat at a game anymore.He's blowing smoke up uur butts because he hasn't really had congress do anything except appropriate more funds for disaster relief.Why isn't he asking why the NFL gets away with hardly any taxes? Wheres the numbers on the three million voters who voted illegaly? Will attendence fall during the new season because players are showing their asses? If someone shows disrespect for the flag and the country, you need look no father that the lack of "made in america" on most of our products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    NFL should not allow this I know you say it's their freedom of speech however I disagree they are not allowed to use any thing that resembles celebration after a touch down because it will offend people------well this offends me.

In baseball your socks can only be so high your uniform has to match all others you have to have your shirt tucked in you can't argue balls and strikes etc etc etc

They could have a rule you can kneel until they play the national anthem then you will stand face the flag place your hand over your heart and show respect for all those who have served and are now serving to defend your freedoms that allow you to make millions of dollars playing a game.
    How Trump has handled it, and how the NFL has handled it are two different conversations.

The simplest solution for the NFL was in the very beginning (when only a handful were protesting, and some players were outspoken against protesting) to have instructed each team to keep all players in the tunnel's until after the anthem. It would have simply neutered their ability to "protest" anything during the game.

Trump foolishly cursing out the handful of players who were kneeling resulted in a much larger spotlight on the situation. He basically threw gasoline on the fire and as a result has dramatically escalated the entire situation, solidified the players (even many of those that were previously against it have become supporters of their piers & teammates right to protest in response to Trump) and because of his words it has now put the owners in a much harder position and making it almost impossible for the the owners to do something without it becoming an even bigger story and alienating most of their players.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was reading an article this evening and came across this, which goes to some of my earlier points.

...fewer than 10 players kneeling in Week 2 this season. In Week 3, however, after Trump's inflammatory "son of a b---h" remark in Alabama, about 250 players responded to Trump by kneeling for the anthem while just about every player locked arms and three teams remained in the locker room...

Post Thanks / Like

This is Trumps largest weakness. He can't take any criticism

Was reading an article this evening and came across this, which goes to some of my earlier points.
    Trump can't resist hitting back no matter what people say about him. He feels threatened and comes back against anyone who doesn't kiss him on the cheek. To me that's a weakness. He needs to learn to lighten up and make a joke out of criticism. Reagan was good about that.

His calling the NFL players SOB's was a good example of Trump sticking his foot up his own NOSE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Trump can't resist hitting back no matter what people say about him. He feels threatened and comes back against anyone who doesn't kiss him on the cheek. To me that's a weakness. He needs to learn to lighten up and make a joke out of criticism. Reagan was good about that.

His calling the NFL players SOB's was a good example of Trump sticking his foot up his own NOSE.
    He does seem to be thin skinned and often finds himself in a petty back and forth with people that seems like it should be beneath the president of the USA to be involved in. However in this case I don't believe he was really responding to any criticism, but instead just chose to go there for some reason. Probably just to get a reaction from a crowd, or possibly from personal resentments towards the NFL from his past conflicts with them, who knows?

His tweet towards Stephen Curry after he said he wouldn't visit the White House with team would be a better example of your point.

Going to the White House is considered a great honor for a championship team.Stephen Curry is hesitating,therefore invitation is withdrawn!
    It's just embarrassing for any grown man to act like that let alone the president. I would expect my children to act more mature of they were slighted by someone.