Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky river Lock & Dam #4

Had to get on the water yesterday. Went to Frankfort and put in at Buffalo Trace in pool #3 and fished in the rocks immediately below the dam. Caught several hybrid strippers, the biggest being 18" and a a few small smallmouths. The amount of baitfish that is in that highly oxygenated water is phenomenal! With the river being at that level, it is very easy to get right up there and fish those rocks. We were flipping tubes. It was a hot one. We did witness the outfit that advertises Ky river tours (Rockin Thunder river tours) up the Ky river from the Ohio river lock thru so that the guest could spend the night at the Frankfort plaza hotel. Nice boat. Glad the locks are being used.
    Likes peter, jcb, SOFISHTICATED liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    where did you actually put in? buffalo trace has a boat ramp? hows the current? I would be in my kayak and have always wanted to fish a decent park of the river

Post Thanks / Like
    Buffalo Trace has a private ramp off of Lewis Ferry rd. You have to buy a key to the gate every year that you want to use it. You can inquire at the Buffalo Trace gift shop on the requirements and rules. The current is relative. I have no problem putting my 17 foot Tracker deep v in. I won't put in when the gauge at the lock is over 8 1/2 foot. If your just putting in a kayak, you shouldn't have any issues. You'll have to decide at what point not to of course.