Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River Fishing this week and a word of caution

Went twice this week, Monday out of Burkesville and yesterday we put in at the dam. Slow fishing above burkesville. We did catch 2 rainbows north of 16 inch but only caught 6 between us. We used spinners and orange rapalas. Yesterday fishing numbers were better. We caught 13, but all 12 inch stockers. Silver spinner was the lure that worked the best. We have fished the river a good bit over the years and I'm not sure why we didn't catch more. Seemed like we had good conditions. Monday we were on the river at sun up. Weird.

Now my cautionary tale. We were floating along and the current picked up. They began letting water out and the river came alive. No big deal, we were hoping the current would help the bite. As we approached a log, I began to steer the trolling motor to move the boat toward the middle and avoid hitting it. I was late and in a split second the boat was sideways on the log, with the water pushing us up the log with the other side digging into the water. Water splashed over the edge for a second before we both jumped to the high side, literally righting the ship, and managed to get off the log. Scary and the closest I've came to sinking my boat. Be careful out there!!! **** happens fast!!
    Likes kentuckykingfisher, PRO V LE, peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dont tell your Mom!!!

I fish in a drift boat. I was between Rockhouse and Winfreys dragging a chain ( which I just started using ) the water started coming up FAST!!!! The chain locked up and even with the back rocker it started pulling the boat down. The boys panicked a little and I moved to the High side. Grabbed the knife off the clip on the gunwale. Gave it to Hunter and said cut us loose!!! While balancing the boat. We lost the anchor but we lived. Very scary and OF COURSE the boys told my girlfriend AND their mom!!!! It was a close call. I mean really close call. Inches away from disaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Cold....ice cold

In the early 90s i was prefishing for a kentucky afield show with norm minch the following day. I was fishing by myself (huge risk) when i hooked a monster drum right below the dam. I had him hooked on a spinning outfit spooled with 6lb test and the fight lasted for quite a distance floating down the river. When it finally came time to try to net the fish i got the shock of my life to realize i was being thrown from the boat into mid air. I lost control of the rod and the net and hit that ice cold water and was immediately stunned and shocked into a muscle spasm that was very intense. I knew i had to get to the boat so i swam as hard as my knotted muscles would let me swim and uade it to the boat. I didnt have enough strength to climb over the side so made my way up the skag on the outboard and into the back of the boat. I was exhausted to say the least. My best guess is the motor caught on a stickup and violently swung the boat around, it was like one of those mechanical bulls. So when i met Norm Minch and the cameraman that evening, the cameraman said "awww man i wish we wouldve been with you, that wouldve been some great footage"... .ummmm.....ok
    That place is not forgiving when it comes to mistakes, things get really bad REALLY FAST

Post Thanks / Like
    That river can get ya in a hurry! I have lot's of great stories over the years. Pulling boards one morning and came up on a capsized canoe. About a 1/2 mile later found the captain on side of river. Nearly died of hypothermia overnight. The water also falls fast - be careful beaching your boat. I **** near had to spend the night once...had to leave motor gunned in reverse while pushing the bow (by myself). Talk about clinching up!