Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

The weather is sure looking PURTY for fishin.........KY Lake

I'm gonna be at KY Lake this next weekend.....

Hopefully it will not rival the North Pole for cold weather, and more hopefully, we get on some of those purty little........check that............purty BIG basses.

Ye, HAW..........

Later,

Geo
    Likes Tyme2fish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Geo hope this trip makes up for your last one. I am heading to the Hollow next week calling for rain every day but hey they called for rain every day for our spring trip and it drizzled about two hours one day and we caught a lot of fish. May be to early but gotta go when you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

Hopefully it will not rival the North Pole for cold weather, and more hopefully, we get on some of those purty little........check that............purty BIG basses.

Ye, HAW..........

Later,

Geo
    Looking forward to the big lake myself. Kind of eyeballing that full moon. I may have to give it a try a few hours Saturday..

Post Thanks / Like

Ye, HAW..........

Later,

Geo
    I was going to head down there on Sunday, till I saw how few limits were caught today in the Costa. Thrift just got a freak bag, it was obviously pretty tough for most

Post Thanks / Like
    The Twins were brutal this past weekend..........BRUTAL, but it is awesome when you outfish hundreds of the best tourney pros out there .

We managed keepers every day, but definitely not many.......

We ended up throwing blade baits a whole , whole lot, and caught hundreds of white bass, with a few large mouth and smallies mixed in.......

I don't believe we caught any keepers like that though.....Keepers were caught on Jigs, and Crankbaits. Jigs on a couple very, very deep spots on North Barkley.

Crankbaits on South Barkley.

We also threw the TAR out of top water, but only caught a few smalls using that technique.

Barkley north and south for us was better than Kentucky, but not because of Kentucky. The winds were pretty bad this past weekend, and my tin boat does so much better on Barkley than Kentucky when the winds are up.

I'm thinking this might be my last trip for the year, as I'm having to either bite the bullet and buy a new trolling motor, or spend a few hundred on a complete rebuild of the lower unit of the TM..........I threw a prop seal and it was full of water. Most of it is in bad shape. I will new a new armature, new brush mount, new brushes, and maybe new components in the top end of the motor........I only noticed the water in the motor based on a big black grease spot on the carpet. When I'd pull the motor up and run the next spot, all water in the motor would run up the shaft, and leak out onto my carpet.....and man was that water ugly

Oh well............Parts have been ordered, but if I need more than what I ordered, I'm buying an Ultrex.

Later,

Geo
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Twins were brutal this past weekend..........BRUTAL, but it is awesome when you outfish hundreds of the best tourney pros out there .

We managed keepers every day, but definitely not many.......

We ended up throwing blade baits a whole , whole lot, and caught hundreds of white bass, with a few large mouth and smallies mixed in.......

I don't believe we caught any keepers like that though.....Keepers were caught on Jigs, and Crankbaits. Jigs on a couple very, very deep spots on North Barkley.

Crankbaits on South Barkley.

We also threw the TAR out of top water, but only caught a few smalls using that technique.

Barkley north and south for us was better than Kentucky, but not because of Kentucky. The winds were pretty bad this past weekend, and my tin boat does so much better on Barkley than Kentucky when the winds are up.

I'm thinking this might be my last trip for the year, as I'm having to either bite the bullet and buy a new trolling motor, or spend a few hundred on a complete rebuild of the lower unit of the TM..........I threw a prop seal and it was full of water. Most of it is in bad shape. I will new a new armature, new brush mount, new brushes, and maybe new components in the top end of the motor........I only noticed the water in the motor based on a big black grease spot on the carpet. When I'd pull the motor up and run the next spot, all water in the motor would run up the shaft, and leak out onto my carpet.....and man was that water ugly

Oh well............Parts have been ordered, but if I need more than what I ordered, I'm buying an Ultrex.

Later,

Geo

Amen on brutal. The lakes have fished brutal for me much of this year. As usual I didn't totally give it a fair shake only fishing 5 hours Saturday and maybe 7 Sunday. Too many chores too little time. Had a decent topwater bite going on KY Saturday afternoon until dark but only managed to boat one good fish - a 3 lb smallie. Had lots of strikes but the LM were just coming up and not fully "committing" so I either missed them or they would get kind of hooked only to come unbuttoned. Also I ended up chickening out on the night bite as it was really thick cloud and my chores list kept knawing at me to be a good boy and pull out. Years back I did a night trip in late October on the moon and had an interesting crank bait bite including some big slab crappie. Maybe next year.

Sunday I couldn't buy a bass strike fishing mid-Barkley close to home. Literally I did not land a bass. For being pre-frontal on a major front, high south wind, really warm day in November the lack of activity really blew me away. No shad movement, no fish movement, no swirls or surfaces -- I didn't even see the asians on the surface late in the day. I ended up tying on a curly tail and put a few crappie in the boat including a 15" slab but man did this weekend blow me away. Had the septic man out today (Monday) and hoped to try the other side of the front but it turned out an all-dayer digging out the tank so hopefully as the water gets down in the 50s these fish will move up. Water still mid-60s on both lakes first week on November. Unreal.

Really starting to wonder how these asians are impacting the fish. A couple weekends back I was in a creek on Barkley mid-day working a drop on a flat that is usually loaded with shad and a mix of many species after them. Mid-day you can pick up some but early and late is always better. I left that spot and hit a few others coming back about an hour before dark and the shad had moved out and one pass on the flat and the fish were the same -- gone -- except for the schools of asians that had moved in. I am beginning to wonder if when they move in the shad move out and the game fish with them. I noted on the big tournament on KY late last week that same kind of note was made -- the balls of shad were missing in the bays that are usually there this time of year. Or are the mega-plankton eaters starting to curtail the shad numbers in a big way? Don't want to be too paranoid but that is my biggest fear and the lakes seem to be changing. Or maybe I am just stuck fishing the lakes like I have for 30 years and the fish have changed but I haven't.

Again hopefully as the water temps come down the fish will move up. And maybe I can catch up on chores and finally spend a whole day on the water for a change. It starts with a flush...

kc