Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Slump? or am I doing something wrong?

I am an avid bass fisherman and fish tournaments, this year I have hooked into numerous 4 plus pound fish and have a had a problem with the fish coming unbutton...I use 6'-6" Gloomis mh and a 6'-6" Gloomis heavy casting rods for jig and worm fishing with 15lb flourocarbon, could I be putting touch much into my hook set???? Also lost a giant at Green in a night tourney never seen the fish but with past experience know it was a 5plus fish, lost that fish on a shakey head using a 7'-0" mh spinning rod with braid and flourcarbon leader....I was told my hookset may be to much and should back off some....Can somebody out there help me? I use to be strictly a mono guy and never had to worry about this...Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teebass11 View Post
    I am an avid bass fisherman and fish tournaments, this year I have hooked into numerous 4 plus pound fish and have a had a problem with the fish coming unbutton...I use 6'-6" Gloomis mh and a 6'-6" Gloomis heavy casting rods for jig and worm fishing with 15lb flourocarbon, could I be putting touch much into my hook set???? Also lost a giant at Green in a night tourney never seen the fish but with past experience know it was a 5plus fish, lost that fish on a shakey head using a 7'-0" mh spinning rod with braid and flourcarbon leader....I was told my hookset may be to much and should back off some....Can somebody out there help me? I use to be strictly a mono guy and never had to worry about this...Thanks in advance
    I have a buddy who would hook a fish, and then set it again, and again............he ALWAYS lost fish.

Your hookset may be too much. Yea, Yea, I know a whole lot of people who will call ********, but if fish are short striking and you power that hookest, you can rip through soft flesh and make too big a hole.........a few shakes of the head, and that fish is done.

WE have all caught fish with just a bit of the hook in fishes, top lip. That fish will still end up in the boat if your hookset is just right, versus too little or too much.

We've also had those bites where you were THUMPED and you bring back the bait, and hour hook didn't penetrate your plastic that is being fished......

With regards to Mono..........said buddy above, was also a born and bred FL fisherman and used mono back in the day. He switched to braids about 20 years, ago, and it has taken a while for him to adjust his gorilla hookset. He's getting better , but sometimes I catch him over setting..... .

I hope you figure it out, because wondering *****.
    Likes teebass11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    I have a buddy who would hook a fish, and then set it again, and again............he ALWAYS lost fish.

Your hookset may be too much. Yea, Yea, I know a whole lot of people who will call ********, but if fish are short striking and you power that hookest, you can rip through soft flesh and make too big a hole.........a few shakes of the head, and that fish is done.

WE have all caught fish with just a bit of the hook in fishes, top lip. That fish will still end up in the boat if your hookset is just right, versus too little or too much.

We've also had those bites where you were THUMPED and you bring back the bait, and hour hook didn't penetrate your plastic that is being fished......

With regards to Mono..........said buddy above, was also a born and bred FL fisherman and used mono back in the day. He switched to braids about 20 years, ago, and it has taken a while for him to adjust his gorilla hookset. He's getting better , but sometimes I catch him over setting..... .

I hope you figure it out, because wondering *****.
    Thanks Geo, this has been by far the most frustrating year I have ever dealt with...I have been given such advice from practicing hooksets in the backyard on wood with flouro and mono just to see and feel the difference...I have even thought about taking some tension off my drag, which is not tight by any means...2 weeks ago I lost 3 total that were better than 4lbs all on jig and unfortunately seen them all, well one was probably better than 6lbss...One on practice day and the other 2 during the tourney...Just getting sick of this and thanks Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    It happens. Went through a stretch a couple years ago where i absolutely couldnt keep a fish stuck on a jig. Nearly every fish i hit came unbuttoned. I broke down and bought an 894 NRX and can count the fish ive lost on a jig in the past 2 years on one hand. 6'6 would be a lot short for a jig rod for my preference, i like to move a lot of line when i swing. Losing fish is going to happen, all you can do is put the odds as far in your favor as possible. When i was having trouble sticking fish on a big worm i went from a straight shank hook to an ewg hook.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    It happens. Went through a stretch a couple years ago where i absolutely couldnt keep a fish stuck on a jig. Nearly every fish i hit came unbuttoned. I broke down and bought an 894 NRX and can count the fish ive lost on a jig in the past 2 years on one hand. 6'6 would be a lot short for a jig rod for my preference, i like to move a lot of line when i swing. Losing fish is going to happen, all you can do is put the odds as far in your favor as possible. When i was having trouble sticking fish on a big worm i went from a straight shank hook to an ewg hook.
    I agree with a better rod..........but for gods sake, don't go out and mortgage the house for some good NRX rods .

Buy the best you can buy.......and learn to use those tools. AND Never pic up a better rod, because you will be ruined.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a similar year of more lost fish than ever before. I too switched from mono to braid w/ fluoro leader and a stout carbon fiber rod. I really believe my hook sets are too hard and I have often brought fish in with larger holes in their lips with hook about to fall out. I loosened my drag even more and try (although really hard to break the habit &#128556 to not set the hook with as much force. It has helped since doing that but I still loose too many fish and have considered going back to mono. I love the sensitivity of braid though and hate to go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfever View Post
    I have had a similar year of more lost fish than ever before. I too switched from mono to braid w/ fluoro leader and a stout carbon fiber rod. I really believe my hook sets are too hard and I have often brought fish in with larger holes in their lips with hook about to fall out. I loosened my drag even more and try (although really hard to break the habit ) to not set the hook with as much force. It has helped since doing that but I still loose too many fish and have considered going back to mono. I love the sensitivity of braid though and hate to go back
    I have read by so many that a 6'-6" rod is ideal for jig and worm, years ago all we had were 6' rods and seem like I never lost fish...But back then I used spinning outfits for jig and even worm fishing and made the change to casting rods about 4 yrs ago cause I had been told I lost fish then cause I was using spinning equipment, so decided to go with baitcasting...But then again I was using braid on spinning reel with flouro leader...So does everybody believe a longer rod can make a difference? My buddy uses a 7' spinning rod with braid and flouro leader and rarely loses fish...He is the first that said go to a longer rod

Post Thanks / Like
    I throw my jig on a 7'5 rod and my worm on a 7'3. My spinning rods are 7'1 and 7'3. I dont think the longer rods are a must, but what youre comfortable with and what works the best will vary from person to person. Throwing a 6'6 rod feels like im holding a toothpick to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not just the length of the rod but it's stiffness that makes more of the difference.
    Likes GeoFisher, inrll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pay attention to the fish you do land. Were they barely hooked? Where are the hooks landing in the mouth? Are there large holes? I do not bass fish that much but sometimes fishing is fishing. I am a firm believer in matching my terminal tackle to the rod\reel I am using. I like to use smaller diameter hooks\terminal tackle if I am using lighter line and softer rods. It's easier to put a smaller wire hook in to the barb with that tackle. If it's a jig with heavier wire, I know I need stronger line and more back bone. If you are ripping holes then you may be over doing it on the line and rod stiffness. Learn from success and it can help you overcome failure.
    Likes Wormin, GeoFisher liked this post