Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Brookville lake crappie

Where have the Brookville crappie gone we had a decent spring a great fall last year haven't caught but a few this year I possibly think there is to much shad for them to feed on we even fished the main lake we couldn't find them in the shallow water ?

Post Thanks / Like

After the fall turn over the crappie can be deep or shallow

Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    Where have the Brookville crappie gone we had a decent spring a great fall last year haven't caught but a few this year I possibly think there is to much shad for them to feed on we even fished the main lake we couldn't find them in the shallow water ?
    If you are not finding them in the shallows then maybe there are down deeper. A good friend of mine told me the other day on the phone that he was catching them in 26 ft deep water. The water column is mixed now and there is plenty of dissolved oxygen down deep now.

Find the food source and you will also find the crappie. And they may be moving from shallow to deep throughout the day. Bass will follow the shad into the shallows at night and then back out to the deep water as the sun rises in the mornings. Crappie also follow the food source. What is the forage at Brookville Lake. Gizzard Shad or something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Shad and they are everywhere we tried the ledges but we didn't go as deep as 26

Post Thanks / Like

Explore more

Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    Shad and they are everywhere we tried the ledges but we didn't go as deep as 26
    Did you see any fish near the bottom on your electronics? With the new DI sonars and frequency modulation sonar CHIRPS it's easier to pick fish out from the bottom as the resolution is better than 6" with CHIRP sonar.

What I myself would do would be to cruise around some deep water spots with brush and see if there are any schools of fish or bait fish hanging around those brush piles in the deep water. Take some jigs and fish the deep brush piles and see if you can't locate some crappie.

A faster way is to hire a guide that fishes that lake all year round and see what they have to say. They are on the water all the time and should be able to put you on some crappie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for advice I winterized my boat this week will go again in late February early march