Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Shimano/G. Loomis Conquest review....

Finally got out on the water with the Conquests this week.... I got 14 of them in the following models: 905C, 904C, 903C, 842C and 842S. On the casting rods I have Aldebaran 50's on them all and the spinning models I have Exsence 3000's on them. Got to fish with all models except the 905C, which arrived at my house while I was at the lake... I will say with the 905C just feeling it in my hand it balances WAY better than my NRX 895C did, the 905C is not tip heavy at all...

I owned all NRX's prior to upgrading and the Conquests have a more "solid" feel, hard to explain but the NRX's felt "hollow"/brittle in comparison. I noticed the casting was more "fluid" with the Conquests and the guides were quiet, sometimes on my NRX's I could hear the line go through the recoil guides during a cast or when fighting a fish. I do like the full cork grip on the Conquests and its a very smooth cork feel in hand, no pits/rough spots like a couple of my NRX's had.

I can't "with the naked eye" tell a weight difference between the Conquest and NRX, but they do feel stronger/more "solid" than the NRX. I caught several 3lb-4lb class fish on them including a 6lb and they all handled the fight of the fish great, I even caught a 5lb on the 842S paired with an Exsence 3000 with 8lb line. And I don't know if it's the reel or the rod or a combination of both, but the 842S with the Exsence 3000 casted like a dream! Farther and with less effort than with my NRX 852S w/Sustain 2500.

I was a little worried at first with the "fast" action of the Conquests vs the "extra fast" of the NRX's but it wasn't an issue. I fished the same baits on the Conquests that I did with the NRX's and the rods handled the baits fine. I met the lure weight limits on each model I fished with, zero issues.

Sensitivity is slightly better, not as noticeable as say from a E6X to a GLX. Now, is "slightly better" worth the roughly 20% higher cost of the Conquest vs NRX? That's up to you... I'm a gear junkie so it was worth it to me!

If you can swing the coin, I highly recommend them!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 4 GLoomis rods. They vary in price range from a couple hundred to 400. I have three 844's and one 855. They are by far the most light and sensitive rod I have ever used. My only issue with them is price versus what you get for your money. Yes they are light and sensitive but there are other rods out there close to being as light and sensitive but they cost a lot less. I have three for bottom contacting baits because this is where I want a very sensitive rod. I also have an 844 E6X for a spinnerbait rod. Strange thing is out of all 4 of my GLoomis rods the one I like the most does not cost the most. My favorite rod is The Mossyback 855 for pitchin. The conquest comes in at 650-675 so 14 of them roughly cost $10,000 including taxes. Thats a lot of coin to swing for 14 rods but I bet they are sweet.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    The conquest comes in at 650-675 so 14 of them roughly cost $10,000 including taxes. Thats a lot of coin to swing for 14 rods but I bet they are sweet.
    Well, I didn't pay retail for them....

If you're talking "retail", I've got $18,700 in my 18 rod/reel combos!

I had a bunch of equity in all the NRX's I sold, so it wasn't that much out of pocket cost to upgrade to the Conquest's. I agree with you in that G. Loomis' aren't cheap, but generally speaking there's a reason why a Lamborghini costs more than a Kia.

They are sweet rods and they're a pleasure to fish with! Don't pick one up at a local shop and feel it in person.....! You'll be doomed and you'll want one!
    Likes GeoFisher, MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    Well, I didn't pay retail for them....

If you're talking "retail", I've got $18,700 in my 18 rod/reel combos!

I had a bunch of equity in all the NRX's I sold, so it wasn't that much out of pocket cost to upgrade to the Conquest's. I agree with you in that G. Loomis' aren't cheap, but generally speaking there's a reason why a Lamborghini costs more than a Kia.

They are sweet rods and they're a pleasure to fish with! Don't pick one up at a local shop and feel it in person.....! You'll be doomed and you'll want one!
    You must have "magic" friends..........

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting on my last two 842S Conquest's to arrive... Hopefully in the next week or two...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    You must have "magic" friends..........
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post