Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sauger - Ky River?

Anyone fish for sauger in the KY river around Frankfort? What about the confluence of Elkhorn Creek? Thinking about giving it a try over the holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

Sauger

I fish for them below lock 4. They have been few and far between but i expect them to show up heavy soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aps71285 View Post
    I fish for them below lock 4. They have been few and far between but i expect them to show up heavy soon
    So in a nutshell, how in the heck do you fish for sauger below a lock? Artificial or live bait?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1678 View Post
    So in a nutshell, how in the heck do you fish for sauger below a lock? Artificial or live bait?
    I've done it both ways. I'll often fish minnows on bottom while jigging with another rod. Use heavy weight to keep the minnows in place and not pushed downstream in the current.
    Likes Elkins45 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My standard rig below dams is usually 1\4 oz to 1\2 oz jig with white or chartreuse grub tipped with a minnow. If they are there that will catch them in my experiences. Chuck
    Likes roadrunner, waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    My standard rig below dams is usually 1\4 oz to 1\2 oz jig with white or chartreuse grub tipped with a minnow. If they are there that will catch them in my experiences. Chuck
    Chuck when you fish the jig and grub with a minnow do you thread the minnow on through the mouth and out the top of the head which kills the minnow or do you rig it through the lips keeping the minnow alive?
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Chuck when you fish the jig and grub with a minnow do you thread the minnow on through the mouth and out the top of the head which kills the minnow or do you rig it through the lips keeping the minnow alive?
    Usually I'll only try to keep them alive when they are real finicky. It seams though when there on, there on and it doesn't matter if there dead or alive. I've even caught them on old minnows I've found on the shore someone else dumped out. I like to put them on to where they will stay on because I have a bad tendency of forgetting my minner net lol and it's cold out there. So threw the head it is, Chuck
    Likes roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually I'll only try to keep them alive when they are real finicky. It seams though when there on, there on and it doesn't matter if there dead or alive. I've even caught them on old minnows I've found on the shore someone else dumped out. I like to put them on to where they will stay on because I have a bad tendency of forgetting my minner net lol and it's cold out there. So threw the head it is, Chuck
    Anyone else ever nostril hook them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I've caught some of my biggest sauger and several walleye with a caralina rig. Rigging a shiner threw the nose at the mouth of a creek or a mud bank below a rock formation. 😉 It isn't quick but works especially when it's really cold. And I mean when you have to keep your beer warm😊
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I actually hook them through both eyes (dead minnows only) this seems to give them more action and stays on the hook better than nostrils. I lose too many minnows hooking them through the lips/nostrils while jigging.
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFISHTICATED View Post
    Anyone fish for sauger in the KY river around Frankfort? What about the confluence of Elkhorn Creek? Thinking about giving it a try over the holidays.
    Drove by Lock 4 Sunday and found the river UP, MUDDY and loaded with TRASH from the recent rains! Bummer...

Post Thanks / Like
    I've caught some of my biggest sauger and several walleye with a caralina rig. Rigging a shiner threw the nose at the mouth of a creek or a mud bank below a rock formation.  It isn't quick but works especially when it's really cold. And I mean when you have to keep your beer warm
    That would be like the Linda rig we used in Canada back trolling for eyes we used a floating jig with minnow or night crawlers
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post